What are my rights when being accused of elderly abuse?

22

Answers

1 2 3
I was accused of elder abuse. APS came out and investigated and the case was closed. It was obvious mom was happy and well cared for. The social worker was wonderful. While she was meeting with my mom, I sat in the kitchen and wrote down all contacts of people who were involved in mom's care, along with neighbors, relatives, etc.

The accuser was anonymous, but I know it was my sibling who has not seen her mother in over 30 years. Mom has Alzheimer's, and sibling would get mom to pay all her bills etc. - she has been unemployed most of her life. So when mom came to live with me, her income stopped.

The social worker told my mom, that she needed to stay with us. If you haven't done anything wrong, I wouldn't worry about it. Document everything, keep every receipt. Absolutely, fight for your rights. Work with APS and show them you are your parent's advocate.

As for all the comments about POA - I don't' agree that you should never use family. Each situation was different. Since mom, lived with me, it made sense for me to have POA. I really am the only one who cared for her.

Also, let the abuser know you will not stand for slander.

I have been accused twice. Cops were called in. Both times reported by my Mother who I am taking care of. They were informed I had hit her. I wasn't worried one tiny bit. Been her POA for about 30 yrs and have done her bills and banking for a good 20 yrs. Have rescued her from 2 of her brats, I can't count the times. I answered their questions truthfully. They checked with her doctor and interviewed her and dismissed it. She isn't always clear in the head but she told them I never have hit her. If U did nothing, U should be alright

I agree with what a past writer wrote: Do not EVER put a relative in charge of your money, property or make them POA. Get a professional who is impartial.

It is my experience that many times in these situations, there is a person or persons who have been close to the relative and can be a doctor or RN. The POA often has not got the medical background to make the correct decisions, but no one else was asked or wants to be the POA. But they will gripe, complain and be a general problem. It is my opinion that most squabbles are really about who gets the most money when the person dies. It is a terrible mess. When there are several children, there are often conflicting loyalties and some who live out of town who have millions in the bank, do not want to help at all but want to be around when the money is distributed. It seems to be the squabbles and problems are usually rooted in family members wanting a lot of money from the relative when they die. My opinion. This is from my experience reading on here and also dealing with people in my life time.

It is horrible to be put in this situation. I had a sibling to accuse me after 3 years of caring for my sick widowed dad. In the end, it fired back on the sibling that reported me because she was actually exploiting and stealing from parent. When I was being investigated, I realized that she had been writing monthly checks to herself and having my dementia father sign. After going out of town, she turned around and had my parent sign a revoke me as POA. Eventually I was advised to file a report against the exploiting sibling who had turned my name into be investigated. It was crazy! Amazing how family members can become greedy and so shady. It was horrible because my dad's care is very expensive and to know that there is a sibling trying to steal from him and blame it on me was a very horrible time and experience.

..just so you know, Safety forces, esp EMTs and/or Firefighters can bring up elder abuse as well, especially if they're transferring the older person to the hospital from home.

1. Don't be a POA without POA compensation and authority.
There is a time for love and a time for business
2. Document what you're doing. Simple daily log.
3. It is usually those who don't have a clue who accuse.
4. See no. 2

One of my brothers, not PoA, accused me of stealing from Dad's credit card. My other brother, PoA checked all of my records and disproved it. However, he has no idea of financial responsibilities of the caregiver. He wanted me to pay rent. I have read on this site about a caregiver also accused of mishandling $$$, that was taken to elder court and the accusing sister with the PoA had to pay court costs, attorneys fees and $2,000.00 a month for 2 years, $48,000. and to continue at $2.000. a month. The 2 sisters got their poor feelings hurt and kept taking the caregiver sister to court to put their mother in independent care. Now they are paying $7,000. a month. The 2 sisters got vindictive at their poor mother's expense. Sad and mean. Caregiver sister was doing this out of love at NO charge and now. Very sad. So your brother could lose more than he thinks. She didn't have a caregiver agreement either. Nor do I. I will take what is dished out, except being taken advantage of. As of now it is over 6 years and I am losing more than $150.00 monthly from SS benefits because of not contributing from not working. God bless.

my experience with 'famblee' (from when I was around 9 or so and watched the shenanigans with a deceased 'aunt') makes me glad I don't have any. For every good family there seem to be 3 or 4 sh****y ones. and it is always the same scenarios as the OP. ALWAYS!!! So, when you are thinking of giving your little baby another baby brother or sister so they have each other...think twice. From where I work the expression is 'cover your posterior'. And, finally, if you have been honest and decent, trust to karma. She has a way of biting people like these in their own rear ends, and usually 3 times over.
Defending yourself? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes you have to let go and hope it works out for the best. Don't be surprised if the POS that caused all this, and after everything is stolen, dumps the elder and demans you come back and care for him.
good lord i'm glad I don't have famblee

You have every right to defend yourself and document what happens untoward all the time. Whoever is the accuser remains anonymous, so when the case manager comes to access your home situation, you can make your case. That person will either close the case or refer it to court. Been there, done that.

1 2 3