What relief is there for people with rheumatoid arthritis?

Many of the treatments have a long list of side effects. Does acupuncture work? My mother is an active 82 year old and this has become increasingly debilitating.

Do they still do Gold injections? That helped someone I knew with rheumatoid arthritis?
Jbmcphee- I am a relatively young woman and have had RA for 20 years. RA is debilitating and PAINFUL. The good news is today's medications are a million times better than the old standards.it used to be medications were used to primarily address the pain. You might feel much better, but the underlying joint damage was still going on. Today's biologics not only help you feel better, but stop further deterioration. I am sitting at the hospital waiting to go home from my second knee replacement. This will give me mobility I haven't had in almost 15 years. Very exciting for me. The medications do have side affects, and everyone is different. I would first find a good rheumatologist. They can help find the right treatment plan. At 82, I would be more concerned with helping your mom feel better, and don't worry about long term side affects. The first step is a good rheumatologist.
They do have the gold treatments still and the results seem inconclusive. To MyWitsEnd, thank you for your response. I hope the knee replacement goes well. There seem to be many new therapies out there, but also seem to sometimes cause other problems. She is in a very rural part of the country and I cannot get her to come to the big city for perhaps a better list of therapies. If there was a treatment that is a real winner, I might have half a chance.
Jbmcphee- so, the new biologics are a life changing treatment, at least they have been for me. Have you seen commercials for Enbrel, Humira, or Remicade? These are a new class of drug that were introduced in the late 90s. Enbrel is a weekly injection while Humira is every two weeks. Remicade is delivered via iv once every 4-6 weeks in a doctors office. All work to slow the progression of RA. All of my joint damage was done before I started taking Humira. Now, I almost never experience pain and stiffness that was an every day thing. My new knees is the last repair To the damage done before I started taking the new medication. The side effects can be scary- increased risk of infection and a slight increase in some types of lymphatic cancers. For me, the ability to get out of bed and live life made it an easy decision. I had a great-great aunt with RA who was taking Enbrel well into her 80s. I would get your mom to a good rheumatologists. They are hard to find sometimes, and your family dr may not be up on the latest treatments. But, once your mom was on a good treatment, she probably could do follow up visits for bloodwork with her local dr. Getting her to a good dr is the first step. The advances in RA over the last 15 years have been life changing.
Yes, acupuncture will work...But mainly do not neglect giving good vitamin food. That will help more.

Thanks
noah