If my Mom applies for my deceased Dad's VA benefits, does the rest home get that pay too? - AgingCare.com

If my Mom applies for my deceased Dad's VA benefits, does the rest home get that pay too?

My mom is currently in a rehab facility for her 100 days covered by Medicare. She wants to apply for the benefits she's eligible for thru the VA. However, we have heard 2 different answers to the same question. That question is that if my mom does apply for those benefits, does that income go to the home as well? She's on MediCal when she goes permanent, so her income will drop to $35 a month due to high share of cost. We have been told that the home cannot touch that money and also that the home can take that money. She wants to apply for it so she has money while in the home. Does anyone know if they can or can't take VA income? If they can, then I'm not going to apply for it since they will be getting paid from her income and also MediCal.

37

Answers

1 2 3 4
My mother was denied the first time she filed in Tennessee, but since she lives on the boarder, we went to the Dalton office and she was approved based on the fact that she is legally blind and house bound, a condition that was ignored when she filed in Tennessee. Be sure the one helping is on your side. Sometimes they seem to glee in turning down claims.

Hope22---my Dad always used to tell me I should have been a lawyer with the mouthpiece I have! Believe me, I plan to use it very soon at the VA. Thanks for the good vibes. Take care.

Good luck Princess....I know the first time we filed, they denied our claim and then we appealed, but by appealing, only had to submit additional information, not refile. I have not heard of anyone having to refile if they have already filled out the original info...perhaps just provide additional info...but not a total refile. I am sure there is a lot I do not know..especially about the mystery that is the VA but I don't think you have to refile...prayers for you both. Your MIL derserved that benefit, and yall as her caregiver do as well...good luck.

Hope22---we have never paid anyone to help and my husband is still insisting that you have to refile. Well, when he gets back from his mother's burial , we are going down to the office together and I will be the one to ask questions. I do hope you are doing well and trying to give yourself some selfish time---you deserve it! Blessings upon you and I will be in touch to let you know what transpires with all this rigamarole at the place where he first went re: the benefits.

I agree with sherry1anne, when assisted by someone who actually knows what they are doing, it SHOULD take about four months...that was what I have discovered through our local office where I should have applied. My sibling took it upon himself (against my begging NOT to do it) to involve a different office and that woman did not know all the ins and outs and therefore it took us almost a year to be approved. We were denied at first, but she had not told us some of the things we could count..especially the fact that my being my Mama's 24/7 caregiver could be counted at the hourly rate considered routine for our area (here $10/hour)...her mistake caused our ultimate approval to give us a lesser monthly and retro amount but I am appealing that as well, but I do NOT have to reapply to do any of this...if a VA rep is telling you that, you may want to check with a different VA office, you should NOT have to pay anyone to help you...it does not require an attorney....there are other va service agencies who know of this and can help you Princess...I hope you will inquire of those if someone is telling you you have to completely reapply...that is insane...bless your heart...but I do understand..it happens all the time to others out there...too many of them it seems give up...and sometimes I have to wonder if that is their hope....

Sherry1anne---you do put forth a very good point. I think it does have a lot to do with the office you apply at. In our case, we are in the Charlotte NC area and had to deal with those folks. I have told my husband over again, based on a previous posters reply to me, that you don't have to re-apply for the benefit. He is adamant about that and says you do have to re-apply. It is very nervewracking to go through this abominable and very slow process to claim benefits for your loved one. Yes, you were very lucky and I can only hope we do get the benefits we do deserve.

I was very lucky with the VA. I think that it depends a lot on the office that you are dealing with. We went to the Dalton, GA office personally and walked her (my Mother's) application in. We got benefits within 4 months.

Thanks hope22 - yes the VA is the most horrible government agency to deal with. Such a pity as those veterans fought for our country. Also thanks for the info about the retro pay. You are right - that should go to my Mom and me as her caregiver. I will look into that....hugs.

hadenough...from the time you first applied for the benefit, once a determination is made for your Mom to receive it, then as her 24./7 caregiver up to the time you placed her in AL, then THAT part of the retro pay would be due to her and you...not the AL..because you were caring for her during that time...it might be worth the extra aggravation to keep on them...God knows it is aggravating ...I am still dealing with them on the retro pay after over four months of being told it's been approved, I've dealt with the IRS before and honestly have never seen a group of folks so seemingly unorganized as the VA...what a pity.. i'd just hate to see you and your Mom miss out on that retro pay...it would not be due the AL...but to you and her and especially you as her caregiver...

In California the assisted living will use that benefit to offset the cost of the AL. I too applied for my Mothers VA assistance about 2 years ago as I was her caregiver. The paperwork was long and involved and I just kept getting back requests for more information ect... Now that she is going into assisted living they can wrangle with the VA. If your Mother was a widow of a WW2 vet the benefit is there for her - you just have to jump thru many hoops. Now I am letting the AL do it.

1 2 3 4