Would I be responsible for my Mother's credit card debt If I'm on listed as a user? - AgingCare.com

Would I be responsible for my Mother's credit card debt If I'm on listed as a user?

6

Answers

If you use the card knowing that you or your Mom are not going to pay it, that is dishonest. If her will states to pay off her debts at her death, do that.

See, I don't automatically think about the sneaky things. So, now thinking about them...if you, as an authorized user are using the charge card after mom has passed? They're coming right after your sorry a**, if indeed it's sorry.

When mom passed, I called to cancel her card and they looked up her obit on line. No problem. If someone were trying to defraud the cc company? I wold hope they'd make that person's life miserable.

Of course, that wouldn't be you.

The credit card issuer needs to be notified ASAP if the card account owner dies. It helps to have a death certificate to send as well. This helps prevent others from using the sensitive information to open new accounts in your mom's name. The executor then pays debts according to estate/probate rules.

I would be surprised if they did not come after you for the charge made after a certain point. If your mother passes on a certain day and the charges are after that certain day....Yes, I would think they would come after you. But, if you pay the bill in full each month, you should be OK. There will be a need to pay certain bills and I totally understand being tempted to put it on her card and pay it off. Its like a Mortgage, if you pay it off each month no one will come after anyone. BUT when she passes the card is no longer active.

If you are merely an authorized user, you are not responsible for the debt. If you are aware that your mom can no longer pay her bills and continue using the card anyway, you might be committing fraud.

• Numerous resources are available to educate a spouse or an aging loved one on the basics of personal finance, retirement planning, investing and more. In fact, some of these learning tools are both practical and enjoyable.
  • Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • A roundup of web-based and mobile financial tools that will help you monitor your money, budget better and save more.
  • 401(k) plans are one tool for saving for retirement that financial advisers urge Americans not to forgo. If your employer offers one of these programs, opt in as soon as you can.
  • People are living longer in retirement, which means many are at risk of outliving their savings. Retirees who carefully manage their spending are more likely to weather market fluctuations well and make their nest eggs last.