If we hire a private caregiver as an employee, what are we responsible for besides taxes? - AgingCare.com

If we hire a private caregiver as an employee, what are we responsible for besides taxes?

What are we responsible for --- besides taxes? Up until now, the family has hired private caregivers on an independent contractor basis. However, one of our caregivers has been with us for over a year.

Since it appears as though our caregivers are not temporary as we earlier thought, we have been considering what obligations we would have once we changed their status. I know that we would be expected to pay approximately 7.5% for income tax, Social Security and Medicare. I am just wondering what other changes we would have to make and if anyone else has gone through a status change with workers.

Of course, the concern is that we will no longer be able to afford home care and I surely hope that's not the case. My parents are absolutely thriving with the individual care they're receiving now.

15

Answers

I think those of you who are relying on having your aide sign a form that he or she is not an employee and will pay self employment tax are living dangerously. Signing a form will not relieve you of liability if the IRS or your state gets wind of it. Do a Google search on "independent contractor vs. employee" and decide if you really are in an independent contractor situation.

Abby, yes you probably were hired as a (private) contractor. I have all my caregivers sign a contract that they will pay their own taxes and give them a 1099 at the end of the year.

I would like to know if you go to a persons house and do care giving 5 days a week 8 to 10 hours a day can your employer say you are a caregiver on your own?. If you pay your own taxes which is being done can the man that hired me get in trouble for not paying part of my taxes? I am in California and their are a lot of people who do private care giving for families. Does the law look at me as a private caregiver or that I am a employee? Does the man I work for should he pay half my taxes ?and when he files his taxes should he not claim me? He puts on my checks caregiver so I just would like to know what the law says I should be doing if I am protected by paying my taxes only. Or am I really looked at as I am a employee and can he get in to problems for not paying my taxes. I am not with a agency I am a private caregiver. If anyone knows the answer to this please let me know. Thank you all very much who will give me a honest answer on this. I must protect myself and tell my employer who hired me I do not even think he may know
the law himself?

Thank you,
Carolyn

lilbug, you are 100% correct. I have had caregivers from both and the agencys were the worst and the most expensive. I use carecom to find mine and have gone through so many who suck! lol to be blunt. I have one who is fabulous and has been with me years, she loves my Mom and is great with her. I have my caregivers pay their own taxes.

I am a private caregiver/CNA, and I also work with an agency, I am leaving the agency because I can longer work on the money side of it, and this is all the agencies care about. I have worked with very poor quality caregivers through the agency, and they say they provide training and they do not. You also have the spread of illness running rapid, many caregivers are in homes that have multiple caregivers in and out, who have also been in and out of other homes. As for dementia patients, the agency is the worst route to go, poorly trained, and the patient will go through many, as these agencies have a high turnover rate. I was very disgusted with the way these agencies care only for the money, and really have low concern for their caregivers, asking them to lift patients knowing they should not, putting all in harms way. As a prvate caregiver/CNA, I do not have the minimum times, but I do add my gas in if an hour or under, with that said, it is still less expensive to hire a private caregiver than through the agencies. I charge $15hr, and after the 2nd hour it lowers to $13hr, even with taxes, this is still lower than the standared $22-24hr rate through agencies. I will never work through an agency again, I have watched financial exploitation happen with patients who are not able to comprehend what they are paying for or/and what type of care they are given, and reported it. There was an article written by the Huffington Post in 2012 about the false perception of homecare agencies, and I would have never know what they were truly saying until working for one. When hiring a private caregiver, do background checks, ask for references from previous or current clients, I believe you would be in better hands.

STP, oh you and I both could write a book! I have emailed, interviewed and tried probably 100 potential caregivers and do I ever have stories. Its so hard to find the right one. Two from an agency , were in the newspaper for stealing! I find my own also, people who are loving and caring The Agencies get people who cannot do other jobs and get $8-10 an hour. I am not saying there can be good people from agencies but I never found one. I also give a 1099 at the end of the year and have a contract my caregivers sign to say they will pay their own taxes, they work for themselves and cannot sue me if they get hurt. (in legal terms)
PS oh and what I saw on my granny cam was incredible too, people lie lie lie.

You should also talk to your insurance agent and get a policy protecting you against lawsuits they could file - back problems etc.

I'm a contract care giver. I first worked same family for 16 years... Since 1992 to 2008 whom he was Doctor(young and good looking 48yrs old) had MS...Sorry homecare agency, l will never work for in my dream. Because in 16 year I worked same family, they trusted me to hire my back up for 48 hours...I did interview so many potential aide .... Finally very nice male nurse (cna)...had a lot experience of homecare according to agency. Dr and I were so wrong !!! I found out this caregiver was invited his girlfriend to Dr's guestroom doing you know what !!! Yes it is hard to find good caregivers from outside. I could write book of it.... I'm very lucky to have this good paying job and their families loves me what I do...last thing I get 1099- MIS end of each year. Also if you are looking for good caregivers best way would be word of mouth from people you knew....

I should add, the family paid all taxes, I&I any milages I was driving with my client.

I am a Professional Caregiver/CNA. I have worked for a client for 51/2 years.
She past last year. The family and my client treated me very well and paid me very well too.I in return I did everything for my client or the Family. When my client got ill I would sometimes only sleep 20 hrs. in a 96 hr. shift, My client was very importend to me and I treated her like my mom, I would do anything to still have her around. The family trusted me and I dealt with my clients money, never would I have taken anything, I keept very good records even thought my clients family never checked. I think if you put so many restriction on somebody you only attract the bad ones, the good ones never stay.Caregiving is a very hard and demanting job, so please treat your caregivers well. Caregiving is not house cleaning its taking care of your loved one. If you have a good attidute torward the caregiver and be kind you get a lot in return, thank your caregiver this goes a long way.
A very devoted caregiver~