Is there any respite for someone desperately needing a vacation?

My situation is: I care give for my twin sister that lives with me and my wife. She is very easy care but I am around her 24/7 and my wife has vacation time coming up in may but I can't leave my sister alone. Where can I turn? Thank You!

18

Answers

The Vets that are given medical services that are needed are considered to be service connected disabled vets. The social workers at the VA can assist the family or client to determine what if any services he/she might qualify for.

wamnanealz, real quick: do VA services apply to all veterans? Or only the ones who saw active duty, I mean like in a war. I know a man who was in the service for 4 years in the 70's and just patrolled a warehouse and washed military vehicles. But he was in the service and got an honorable discharge.

The VA contracts with agencies that get paid directly from the Va budget. The client does not pay anything. The agency sends people out after an intake worker comes out to see what all the client needs. Then the decision as to how many hrs the worker can get are determined by the agency.

Dear Alexander,
They provided a nursing home with complete care for as long as I wanted it up to 30 days a year. I should have taken it all, but only asked for the time I spent at the beach with my daughter and her family. They paid for everything. I didn't get a choice, but the nursing home was really nice and they told good care of Bill. I didn't have to do anything but bring a weeks worth of clothes. They even did his wash for him and didn't lose a thing. You have to go through the VA and sometimes you have to wait for the home. But I was lucky and they had the time I needed. It all worked out great! It was really hard to leave him, of course, and I felt so guilty, but I really needed it. It helped that I spent time with my daughter and her family. I have two teenage grandchildren who I haven't seen very often because of distance and because I was confined at home with Bill for a year and a half! I really enjoyed the time away and with family!

Previously to this week, the VA also provided 10 hours of care per week a caregiver to help Bill and time for me to go food shopping and running errands. The caregiver came three times a week for three or four hours at a time. Bill wouldn't let her do anything for whims mostly she just babysat while I went out! He hated having someone "New" in his home and he told her that a lot! When he started getting violent,,I had to put him in the home. I was too scared to be alone with him!

wamnanealz, what did the VA do for you? Get help, or pay for help?

wamnanealz

I went through VA because my husband was a veteran. They paid for everything for 11 days and I could have had a month if I asked. It was so refreshing.

There are camps and retreats for adults with mental and physical impairments. Many are nonprofit and will subsidize the cost based on her ability to pay.

If you are not the only POA, some of the respite options Mike work for you. The VA offers a respite for caregivers. I was the only POA for 2 Alzheimer's patients and have never been able to take respite for 3 years. I got calls about my father when I was in the hospital. I couldn't go to him because I was on powerful narcotics and the hospital staff would not have let me leave. Out nation does a horrible job of caring for its elderly, and sick. However, if you can find someone to share the POA responsibilities, there ar agencies that can help. If your loved one is a veteran, call the VA. Even if you can only get 2-3 days, that would allow you to get sleep and catch up on some of your medical visits.

Try contacting your state home care agency via local Senior center/COA. In my state these agencies offer "caregiver scholarships" to assist with respite care. Some Assisted Living facilities will offer respite, but can be pricey.