Can I resign from work to take care of my elderly mother?

Do you think it is alright to just resign from work so that I can take care of my elderly mother. At present, my work as a government employee is not enough. I plan to focus on my home-based business instead so I can keep an eye on my mother.

20

Answers

Everyone's situation is unique. Carefully consider the pro's and con's. If your spiritual, pray. Check out the FMLA options to maybe get a trial run at full time caregiver. Do what what your heart and brain know is best. Good luck.

I quit my work, first i took FMLA, but then I did not return. I did not have a plan but it was the best decision i ever made. I took my mom out the nursing home and i strongly believe she was better for it. No care is better than the care you can give.

Don't do it! Keep your job!

I know exactly the decision that you are trying to make. I have been in a State job for the last 21 years. I was very fortunate that when my dad got sick and died, I had enough leave to cover my being out of work to take care of him and my mother for almost 3 months. After he died, we moved my mom in with us (she has AD). I want to spend every day with her, taking care of her myself, but I had so much invested in all those years of work that I didn't feel that I could. I'm an only child and daddy left me some money and properties, so I am able to have someone with her while I work. God has been so good to us, because my prayer has been that I could take care of them. I have 2 wonderful sitters who work out the days that they can take care of her and I work 4 or 5 days a week and plan to retire in 2 more years. It is not wrong for you to resign your job to take care of your mom, just be sure that you're financially able because that would only bring added stress. God bless you. I hope that you pray about the decision you make and follow His lead.

I left my job and moved in with Dad when he had a stroke..after being in two assisted living facilities, being home with him has worked out the best. I am not saying it isn't hard..it is the most difficult job I have ever had...but also most rewarding. I have managed to work some part time jobs here and there. If you can work from home..great..do that...and get some one in to stay with your Mom on days that you will need a break to go out and do things.. That is what I do and it works out well. Good luck to you!

LynnP0,

Marissa's profile states that she's 38, a single mom with a daughter and has been taking care of her mom since she was 20 and her income is all that there is. So if she quits her job, then there is no income for taking care of her daughter, her mother or herself.

Sometimes I fail to look at a person's profile before I respond and this was one of those times.

If you quit your job the long term financial consequences could mean that you are not financially secure in YOUR OLD AGE. Would our Mom want that? Is there some way you can take a leave of absence, go to part time or work from home? Can you hire a care giver to help her when you're at work? Look at all the financial pros and cons - don't forget you might be able to deduct her from your taxes as a dependent which could help off set the cost of a care giver. Also consider the emotional toll on you, your spouse and kids. See your county area agency on aging for their advice and input. They might have other recommendations so that you can continue to work and help your mom. good luck.

I do not know what is available in your state, but for California workers covered by State Disability Insurance, Paid Family Leave (PFL) insurance provides up to six weeks of benefits for individuals who must take time off to care for a seriously ill child, spouse, parent, or registered domestic partner, or to bond with a new minor child. Here are a couple of web sites to help you start,

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/Paid_Family_Leave.htm

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

Your state (if not CA) may have a similar program. Also you should check with HR at your job to see if any income is provided while on FMLA.

You will not be eligible for unemployment if you quit.

I resigned from my job June 24,2009 to care for my 81 yr old mother who has several medical including -COPD, congestive heart failure, Atrial fib/pacemaker & a heart attack. It took me several months of debating whether or not to resign, (which looks better on your resume than getting fired) & weighing the pros & cons - a very hard decision to make beause of the economic situation, health insurance & etc. However, God blessed us with a very speical gift called a mother & I felt the greatest thing I would benefit from was being with & caring for my ailing mom versus fighting the politics at the proessional company office I worked for. The FMLA (family medical leave of abcense) is a good start. Word of caution - check with your Human Resouces very closely re: all eligible benefits you will be able to continue after you resign.