Looking for an online bank that will set up a representative payee account to manage Mother's affairs from a distance?

I manage my mother's affairs from a distance acting as her new representative payee payee, what banks understand how to set up this type of account?

17

Answers

Wow thank you, everybody has been very helpful! I agree that it would be better for me to set up this kind of account in person with a local bank that is large enough to have a branch where she lives (branch to branch transfers for funds for her personal use) and would provide online banking services.

I found this at the national credit union site. It talks about how rep payee accounts should be set up.

"the beneficiary, not the representative payee, owns the SSA benefits funds.

The representative payee serves in the capacity of “manager” of the account, not the owner, so base membership eligibility on the beneficiary.

Make sure the account is set up in your system so the beneficiary is listed as the only owner. Neither the representative payee nor a third party can have ownership interest in the account.

On the other hand, while the beneficiary retains ownership interest, the account title shouldn’t permit the beneficiary to have direct access to the funds in the account.

Here are two recommended titles:

'(Beneficiary’s name) by (representative payee’s name), Representative Payee.'
'(Representative payee’s name), Representative Payee for (beneficiary’s name).'

Because the beneficiary owns the funds in a representative payee account, use the beneficiary’s tax identification number on the account for reporting purposes."

I remember back decades ago when one could get 10% to 15% on savings accounts... now it is what .005%?

We have a LifeGreen account with Regions for my mother. The checking account pays interest, but it is a joke. She gets about 3 cents a month. The space it takes to record it in the ledger probably cost more than the interest. :) Interest is a joke these days. Banking online is easy. Bills can be paid and transfers made from one account to another. The only time I have to go to the bank is to get some petty cash or to draft money from my BOA business account to my personal account (separate from mother's).

I know the banking system is different here in Canada, but I agree with Sendme, I'd rather use a bricks and mortar bank with internet capabilities than one that is solely available online, it's hard enough to iron out problems when you can go and speak to someone face to face, i worry it would be a nightmare in cyberspace.

A checking account that receives electronic, automatic deposits often waives the fees, or fees are waived if one person is over 62, or 65.
Even with online banking, it is important for me to be able to use the phone to get balances and recent transaction, or transfer between accounts.
Then, there is always that unavoidable trip to the actual bank.
So I would advise getting a bank large enough to have a branch in both person's area, closeby.
Most would not agree with my way of doing banking, and say that online meets all their needs. But I am a person that if I want my money today, then I am not waiting for the bank or internet to do their thing.

I've had excellent service with using Suntrust. Following my Dad's account on-line were really simple. Some banks on-line software can be a maze to get around.

Oh, just to add, we set up the acct in person but they allow on-line banking. Are you trying to find a bank that will allow you to open the account on-line, or just manage it on-line?

Do you have PNC in your area? We used them. Their customer service isn't what it was years ago, and they've added fees. But they were able to set up the acct.

That is true, but you have to have an account to receive the money.