Mom pays all of my expenses for being her caregiver, I am unemployed. Do I need to report anything on my taxes? - AgingCare.com

Mom pays all of my expenses for being her caregiver, I am unemployed. Do I need to report anything on my taxes?

I receive no direct payment. I do everything from meal preparation, shopping, finances, yard work, errands and custodial care. I use my own vehicle for her purchases and all medical appointments.

3

Answers

I would check with a CPA or some tax expert. I doubt that you have to report this as income, but you may since in essence, she's supporting you and you are providing a service. You want to keep things legal. Paying penalties wouldn't be fun. You will likely rest better getting an expert view from a local tax accountant - even if you don't like the answer.
Best wishes,

No, if your mother does not give you a paycheck or give you substantial cash gifts, you do not need to report anything on your taxes.

I would check with either a tax or elder law attorney.