Who is responsible for replacing my mom’s dentures if the nursing home lost them?

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
YOU are responsible!! Everything taken in there is taken it at own risk whether it is needed or not. It is a nursing home residents go in and out of people rooms all the time which cannot not be helped as staff can not always be there and have eyes in the back of there heads! The residents may pick up other residents items and misplace them or flush them down the toilet this cannot be helped! Yes inventories are taken but that's just so we can see exactly what is missing on discharge so we can inform families! As for the puréed diet comment, yes resident may be put on soft diets but this doesn't mean everything has to be purreed, there are still foods they can eat if they are easily mashed or cut up/ pulled apart. It's part of their dignity!!

I have a friend who is a care cooridnator nurse for a hospital. When her mother w/dementia was in a NH, the NH lost her dentures. My friend INSISTED that they replace them - and they did!

So - the clear message here is to NOT ACCEPT this loss as YOUR problem - make it clear that you consider it THEIRS. Insist that they replace the lost item asap! You must document - in writing - this loss and your insistence/expectation that they replace it/them! (And be sure to keep a copy for your files!) You may also find that you have a better "response" if you also CC APS, your state Dept of Health, Senior Services, whomever could have an interest! - on the letter.

I was not finished last Question. I reported this to Quality management while on. 8 mg diluted, 10 mg IR. Opana, 2mgs klonipin & injection of 50 mgs of an help with my nausea. When the Quality nurse took my statement. I could hardly keep my eyes open. My husband called about my dentures as the dentist had advised . They told him to have me do them & they would reimburse for the cost. I received a letter a couple days before my appointment saying they are not responsible. I have talked to the high ups the executive team & they said they were not there so they would have to go by what Quality control told them. They were not their either. The lady Katie who was over my case said she didn't even believe my dentures were on my tray. I have been soo depressed & feel so ugly I have not left my house except to go to my doctors appoints. I look like a 85 year old women. What can I do? I do not want pureed food forever.

I was admitted to a regular hospital l. John Muir medical center in Walnut Creek ca.I had a routine. I did everyday since I was admitted to the hospital Oct. 30,2015 -Dec 4, 2015. About 2 wks. Into my stay l got a CNA I had never had before. I think her name was Marsola. She came in yelling saying she was taking my dinner tray. I told her I was not done with it She pick it up & headed for the door. I told her I needed to get something off my tray she just left my room & knocked over the picture of water that spelled all over my cell phone, table & floor. I had a towel on my lap to try& dry up my cell & other items that were on the table. pressed my call light. It took them 15 - 20 minutes to get to my room. I told them about the dentures they looked for them & called down to the kitchen but, they were already gone. The nurse could see I was up-set about my dentures. She told her I couldn't believe my dentures were gone. She said it happens a lot. but, the hospital will cover them not to worry. Then I got really sick from a blood bactira that was caused from nurses not washing there hands. My fever went up to 104 I .9. I was unconcouse when I woke up I noticed my ring my mom gave for my wedding ring she got it from her great grandma. It was white gold with emerals & diamonds my finger was so red were the ring was. I think someone took it off my finger my finger it was worth a lot of money. The told me the changed my bedding while I was a sleep because I had a CNA help me look on my bed & wanted her to check the linens, The had already went down to laundry .I asked if I should put tape on my right hand to protect that ring. They said it was really tight to not put tape on my ring. Then I woke up a few days later to find that ring missing.

Belairio, check the admission agreement. Most say they will not be responsible for hearing aids and dentures, because so many residents misplace theirs. If you actually saw her drop them, go to the Director and file a complaint.

Nurse dropped mums teeth in nursing home and broke them, they say they are not responsible,I believe that they are ,can anyone help with answer

My Mom has been in a nursing home since August 2014. I had no idea that is was the norm for things to go missing. I, like so many others on this blog, mark every item of her clothing with indelible ink, but it seems to make little if any difference. She is always wearing something when I see her, but a huge percentage of the time the clothing is not hers. My biggest dilemma is the hearing aids. She had already lost one before she went into the nursing home, and soon thereafter, the other was also missing. A nurse found it on a tray but it went missing again and has not been found. I bought her new hearing aids - not the super expensive ones but not cheap. I cannot bring myself to deliver then to the nursing home, because I know the chances of them being secure are slim to none. I see my Mom 3-4 times per week. I am thinking perhaps I will bring them with me only for my visits and then take them back with me, but I think that will upset her and make her protest (like a child does) - Oh, I won't lose them! This phenomenon related to nursing homes seems ubiquitous, and I have now let go of being angry, upset, and sad about the missing items. If I buy her any clothing now it is from Goodwill (which is a good cause anyway, so it's a good thing!). I have spoken to administration numerous times. They say they will look for the items, but I suspect the problem is too large for there to really be a good answer. Otherwise the nursing does a super job with my Mom. I'm actually glad to know that it seems to happen everywhere and not just where my Mom lives. Oy.

My husband is currently in a rehab and took his teeth out for the night wrapped them in a napkin and dozed off too sleep.
When he woke up the next morning they were gone

Thanks for all the information given by all. My mother has alzheimer's and they have misplaced one complete set plus two upper dentures and they told us they were not responsible for any personal items (all personal items) that are brought into the facility. Her underwear goes missing, body lotions, hair accessories you name and it goes missing. These rules of NOT responsible for personal items gives the staff the authority to STEAL anything they want with no consequences. It's just immoral.

MIL lost partial while in rehab. We were the ones that had to ask where they were. They didn't know when they were last there. No one knew. Checked with kitchen, aids etc. They were concerned for that afternoon. That was it. Nothing else was said. Can't expect them to keep track of teeth or glasses because they couln't even keep track of the alarm that was supposed to be put on MIL. When we went in to visit we always had to ask where is her alarm? Isn't it supposed to be on her? We would find it on the tables, etc. Everywhere but on her. Once it was in the back of her wheel chair pocket. It was unbelievable they couldn't put something so important for her safety back on her. Same with using the safety belt. They are too rushed and not enough help. You should not have to wait 15 minutes for someone to come in and help you get to the bathroom. Once they found out that we would not be leaving her there so we could private pay $11,000.00 a month her therapy and ability to do things for herself were amazing how quickly she was ready to go home. We are checking out places to place her when we have to so we won't be rushed into an unfit NH again. You go in not knowing anything and the things you learn (on your own) are unreal. If you don't know what to ask you are in trouble. Keep reading everyones posts. You will learn alot about what goes on in these places.

1 2 3 4