I live in PA and on Medicare, still paying on home mortgage but cannot take care of myself anymore. Can I rent out my home and move?


Can I live with my sister and pay her rent and rent out my home in PA while on Medicade and medicare, SSi/SSD.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.


Medicare isn't income dependent so you should be able to do whatever you want to do. Medicaid is different. But Medicare is simply your health insurance, so go for whatever works best for you.
Helpful Answer (0)

louiee2: I think it would depend on how renting your house out changes your income. Usually there is someone in you local Social Services Department that handles your Medicaid annual review. I think you should call that department and ask your questions.

If you want your sister to receive compensation for your care, my guess would be that Medicaid would want to assess your need for daily care. Rules do vary from state to state. Are you on SS disability?

In Washington state, Medicaid has a program called COPES which will cover the cost of a certain number of hours of in-home care, but people who are on SS are charged a portion of their income for access to that program. The amount they are charged is much less that normal in home care would cost. I don't know if payment for care could be transferred to you sister.

I think you need to go to the source and ask your questions. Maybe others here can give you more info than I can, but bottom line is that Medicaid has the final say so it's best to talk to them.

Please stay in touch and let us know how things progress for you. Best wishes to you. Cattails
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.