How to remove spouse from rehab?

I have had it with this rehab place. Yes I had meeting with staff twice but know after seeing my love one in not cleaned up and with same clothes on for 24 hrs and today in bed with wet totally I must take action!

16

Answers

For those writing here in reference to my post let me just say that I did not wan to write all the details because this case is being followed by several agencies. The patient, my mother, was left in dirty clothes at the nursing home not for 24 hours by for up to three days. She had food, liquids and mucous on her clothes. I had to change her with another relative of mine AND I have a spine condition. Imagine. She was not given all her medicines despite my pleas. She had a bell in her bed which the nursing people did not answer much. We found her with bruises because she told us she was in pain and wished to go to the bathroom and they did not want to help her. We found her one time with feces in her pants. So, what I am saying here is the truth and for someone to come here and try to write things that sound as if they are defending nursing homes it just makes us sick. I am just writing this in answer to the original post and to let the world know that there are evil people working in those places and if it had not been for my spine condition I would have continued to take care of my mother. My condition has been getting worse and despite having taken care of her for years I still feel guilty that I had to leave her there with those animals. People get into the health care field for the wrong reasons, to make quick money. Look at those CNA's, they only need to do a three or four week training in some joke place and at the end they are issued a " certificate " which qualifies them to work and handle patients. Many of these CNA's dont know how to handle the patients. Social workers is another group of insensitive people. The one in charge of my mother told us on the phone that she " died quickly and that is how they should die ". What does this tell you about nursing homes? Those animals don't care even if your loved one dies. They are a bunch of hypocrites who think of only money. They are beasts. Whoever talks well about nursing homes or defends them are either hypocrites themselves, fools or they work for them. We met someone locally who told us she once had a big family, but one thing they do not regret is that they all died together in the house. I would have preferred this for my mother. As I am writing this post on this website I am seeing here on this webpage advertisements about Conway Funeral Home and Grisworld Home Care in Manhattan. This is my point the death of our loved ones for these animals is a business for these people because all these businesses make money. My opinion is the same for hospitals, they are always assigning social workers on patients and pushing on the idea of nursing homes to everybody. It is a business for them. It is not a crime for them. For these animals that is life. I have no respect for these criminals even though I have worked in the health care myself.

canyon i absolutely agree there has been gross negligence in this case. Every facility should check the bowel activity daily of all patients as part of their monitoring of vital signs and as soon as someone starts narcotic pain relievers they should be given stool softeners or laxatives and if necessary an enema. His belly should have also been assessed for bowel sounds nad general tenderness and firmness. All easy to do and reported to the Dr. once a bowel has obstructed like that especially if it has perforated the only option is surgery. In this case it was too late he either was not strong enough to with stand the surgery, infection had spread too far, or too much of the bowel had died.
Having said that he may have obstructed for many other reasons and died in any case.
The next of kin or POA can request a copy of his records and it is essential to obtain these before making any law suite noises. be sure to also include the nurses notes, they are really important. for your own peace of mind being able to read them your sleves will bring closure even if you don't want he addition stress of a law suit which may take years or months and could be very expensive..

contact the long term care ombudsman who is an advocate for those in facilities. She/he should be able to help with care issues.

Canyon, so sorry for your loss. U may have had a law suit here. A doctor can examine and pretty much determain there is a bowel problem. The rehab Mom was in called in a company that had a portable xray to make sure she didn't have an obstruction.

The rehab part of the admission is seperate from the nursing care recieved. the patient must co-operate with therapists and show progress or they will be discharged under medicare whether their 20 day are up or not. if that part is working well and you personally are satisfied with the progress you may be able to deal with the other lack of care you have experienced. I realize it is the facilities responsibility to provide care but there is nothing to stop you if you are able from giving your spouse a bath and changing clothes and Depends. You would be doing this at home anyway. they may not want you to assist him to the bathroom if he is a fall hazard but you can ask for help. If the call button is not answered don't just sit there angrily pressing it got to the nurses staion and stand there till someone comes to help you. once the patient is taken care of you can go up the chain of command and complain all you like but if you plan to care for him yourself alone at home you must be capable of providing the care he needs. If you stay on top of this and he is really benefiting from the rehab it will be well worth the extra effort. It would be nice to move to a better facility but usually difficult under Medicare. If you can and are prepared for private pay the sooner he is moved the better. The nurses in the new place may be better but they will still probably have a similar patient load and typically W/E is the time staff are shortest.

This is not specific to your question, but the one experience I have had turned into a nightmare. My 80 yr old dad had a cardiac arrest with CPR at a hospital, They discharged him 4 days later. Since he had broken ribs from CPR, he could not tolerate Physical Therapy and he needed pain meds. He ended up with no BM for 9 days, even though I reminded the nurse every day. I came in at noon one day, his belly was huge and hard, and he said he felt like he was dying. I asked for the staff to call an ambulance for FIVE hours, and they said that the doctor said kept saying "'no." I had to get aggressive and demanded they call 911 or I would. They finally called. He had a bowel obstruction, with a perforated colon, had emergency surgery and died the next day.
Medicare guidelines require discharge from hospitals way before they are medically ready, especially for the elderly. I had no idea that Rehab did not do medical evaluation, EKGs, or x-rays. If I had,I would have insisted he stay at the hospital.

I found out a lot working, a a secretary for a Visiting Nurse Assoc and having an RN as a daughter who works in rehab/nh. Nothing will be perfect. The facility is only
As good as the employees. One thing I recommend is trying to find out what the turnover with staff is. This will tell u if the place is good to work for and that staff is happy. Where my daughter works, CNAs have been there 20yrs. Find out what the duties CNAs are to perform on a daily basis. They can have 20 to 30 patients and they do all the dirty work. Not an easy job for $10 an hour. Like everything else, you have good and bad. If u can figure who the bad CNA is request that he/she not tend ur loved one. You should get a billof rights when admitted.

Hope1007-you are not alone. #1 take your spouse out of their as soon as possible. You have seen the signs of horrible care. It will not get better. Make moving somewhere else your priority. The facility knows what is going on. MOVE!!! I speak from experience. Find another facility. Go tomorrow. Talk to the head nurse. Get a bed secured. Tell them you need to move and as soon as possible. Every day take some of his belongings home. When you get that call that a bed is ready, you won't have much to move. Tell him you are taking him out. And drive with him to his new facility. There are good ones. You have to find one!! I I did it! You are in charge!!!!!

Sorry about all the errors. Hard to see what I've previously typed.
Just want to say, just because they reccomend rehab you don't have to go. My Dad turned it down so did my friend. Both was after doing rehab before.

This iss how I look at rehab. Years go hospitals were responsible for the rehabilitation. No longer and insurance companies decide hen its time to release a prsson. So now we have rehab and i on Medicare the faclilty has to show how the patient is progressing. I they hit a plateau then they r discharged. Now, you've talked to the staff and feel nothing was done, then go higher up to the administrator. Maybe your spouse needs Depends for nighttime. You can have ur spouse any where u want as long as that facility takes ur insurance. You don't have to take their recomendation.

I guess I'm lucky here. Its a small town and I know what facilities I would not allow my Mom to go to.