How can I get my mother's court appointed guardian removed? She isn't working in my mother's best interest. - AgingCare.com

How can I get my mother's court appointed guardian removed? She isn't working in my mother's best interest.

My mother's court guardian is not working in my mother's best interest.This guardian has not taken care of some of my mother's basic health concerns, my mother has had no prescription eyeglasses for 2 years, her teeth have not been attended to, now they are rotted out. Many times I visit my mother her hair is dirty, her nails also. The guardian is unethical and unprofessional. The Alf lost all of my mother's belongings, then when they couldn't find them the guardian said I took them. I wasn't even in the state. That is when the guardian started falsely accusing me and threatening me. Since then she has limited me to visit my mother 1 day a week and 2 calls. I find this isolation to be abusive to my mother since my mother wants to see me and talk to me. My mother also wants to live with me and I want to care for her. The guardian also said I was overstaying my visitation, so I asked a caregiver there she said I could stay till 9:00pm. Then the guardian had the owner of the facility put a sign on the front door saying no visiting hours after 6:30pm, this is an Alf not a nursing home. It also said to not come at breakfast or lunch or diner time. 8:00am, 12:00, or 5:00. This doesn't like there is much time to visit anyone. People ask is my mother a resident there or an inmate. A friend of mine called this ALF to inquire for someone she did ask if there were any restrictions on visitation, she was told by the owner that there were not, infact you could visit when ever you want this is their home you could even spend the night. It seems to me the owner is in on this entire thing with the guardian. Please, if anyone can help! what can I do? Thanks,

20

Answers

My mom is declining fast under a guardian court appointed against her will. They are trying to portray me as evil. I am terrified to even go see her. What can I do? The judge was manipulated by their lies about my mom.

my friends reported guardian same situation not treating families respectfully and guardian was told no to do this to families because it does they are not following the code of ethics for behavior
My friend contacted the National Guardianship in Penn state who helped so families can be with their loved ones
good luck Candy

I too identical situation and hurts breaks ou hearts for our moms..it's our mother and this is so fabricated and unethical of a guardian to do to us their daughter...i am so sad you too have to deal with all when it's you mow mother..civil rights being taken away breaking hearts..just doesn't seem real everyday I wake up and go to sleep knowing our moms are alone
I hope your not too far away state wise from your mom

Public outcry gains governance; never give up; you can speak up in court; blog, blog, blog and create the needed public outcry. From Enron came SOX and from our parent's and loved ones suffering and loss of dignity will come governance over professional fiduciaries and guardians. The ABA put out a message that family members are the biggest abusers of the elderly and and a niche was carved. To fill the niche, the professional fiduciary was born who in return provide the clients for the attorneys who charge huge fees. We also have courts with judges that used to be attorneys and in states that desperately need revenue. Attorneys, guardians, conservators, professional fiduciaries, trustees, courts, and the state get our parent's hard earned dollars in the end and until public outcry gets so loud as to stop these people. These guardians and conservators are strangers that swoop down on us and into our lives, destroying them. My mom's teeth are blackened and cracked from neglect while her conservator and trustee of the family trust and his counsel obtain over $90,000 a year for doing nothing but harassing me. What happens when mom runs out of money? When the money runs out the guardian or conservator, quietly files a request for discharge with the court because the estate is out of assets and goes on with their life. They leave financially depleted elders in nursing homes; some being kicked out, adding to the homeless population. I have viewed court motions where conservators don't inform relatives of a conservatee's death until 90 days later, My beautiful mother, her wishes trampled, photos of her youth thrown away by her conservator, abused her entire life by her father, husband, and now conservatorship. But I am third year pre-law student at 53, carrying a 5.85 gpa who is off to law school in Oregon next year and as soon as I pass the bar, I'm gonna do iron-clad Trusts, POA's and Wills and use the money to do pro-bono work for family members who have lost their parent to a conservatorship. Hopefully my mother will still be alive so I can fight the conservators counsel on a even playing field. Blog everyone and create public outcry for conservatorship reform and governances on guardians and professional fiduciaries. Sincerely

First call Florida's APS (adult protective services) and report the public guardian's abuses. However, I reported professional fiduciary abuses against my mother and APS called an alerted mom's abuser and never checked out the bruise on her face or fall that rendered her legs useless. You can also try complaining to your local Ombudsman's office, however they too alerted my mom's professional fiduciary conservator/trustee. You can file a "breach of fiduciary" motion with the courts or even a simple notarized affidavit stating the abuses, which is easier than creating a legal motion. Check the court that is monitoring the conservatorship's website for forms you may be able to use. You will need to state who you are as an interested party and list the abuses and attach exhibits that prove she is being abused. I would also suggest that you file for special notice to obtain copies of court filed legal documents by the guardian so you can show in court to object. As a child of the conserved you do have a say as an interested party so show up at court and speak up briefly and respectfully to his/her honor. I break down sobbing in court so don't cry, as judges hate crying, which I know as a law intern. Last but not least, if you can afford an attorney at an hourly rate of $250 to $450 an hour, hire one. At the very least, most attorney's provide a first time, once only, 1/2 hour free consult before taking on a case. You can obtain a small amount of information during the free consult as to what to do and what hurdles to expect. But you can clearly expect the guardian to respond to your allegations and then really cop an attitude against you. Weigh the pros and cons because they could put in another public guardian worse than the one you already have. Also, have you considered applying to become your mom's conservator yourself as that may also be an option. Good luck; I hope for your mother's sake you get better results than I am able to obtain in the California courts.

Can someone help me how to remove guardian its heartbreaking for mom and abusive.
We live in SE Florida

I am the voice behind my sister OMG this is real and i have no clue on what i should do i hit a brick wall with the guardian Non profit has done the same to us they have took all our right we did not know what we were signing the main court person failed to give us details and he did say that fell back on him now he works for that same guardian group and now we dont even get to see my sister and she is not allowed to come home these people are demons familyeldercare in austin tx does anyone know what we can do or who we can talk to we will trust in God i need feed back and i lift my hands to all of yall that are suffering with the pain that runs threw our hearts too

Please continue to flight for your love ones and do not give up. The state care taker my father has is not taking care of my dad. All she cares about is the money.

It sounds as if the guardian has some leverage at the ALF that mom is at so they are taking his direction. The ALF is just as guilty as the guardian is of alienation. Here is the long term patient's Bill of Rights that protects elders which incorporates the California Health & Institutions codes:
RESIDENT BILL OF RIGHTS
California Code of Regulations Title 22
Section 72527. Skilled Nursing Facilities Section 73523. Intermediate Care Facilities:
(a) Patients have the rights enumerated in this section and the facility shall ensure that these rights are not violated. The facility shall establish and implement written policies and procedures which include these rights and shall make a copy of these policies available to the patient and to any representative of the patient. The policies shall be accessible to the public upon request. Patients shall have the right: (13) To associate and communicate privately with persons of the patient's choice, and to send and receive personal mail unopened.
(14) To meet with others and participate in activities of social, religious and community groups. (17) To have daily visiting hours established.(19) To have visits from persons of the patient's choosing at any time if the patient is critically ill, unless medically contraindicated.(20)To be allowed privacy for visits with family, friends, clergy, social workers or for professional or business purposes.(21) To have reasonable access to telephones and to make and receive confidential calls. Perhaps the ALF place may gain some wisdom if you remind them of your mother's rights, of particular note is "establishing visiting hours."

Additonal get what you can on the guardianship without them knowing so you have proof. Have someone an outsider help you so you have a non-bisas working with you. Just remember to be legal in what you do.