How do you relieve pressure sores in someones ear if they will not sleep in different positions?

My mom sleeps in the same position; yet she is not bed bound. Her ear is starting to get a pressure sore inside. Any ideas on how to help this issue. I have tried antibiotic(topical) calamine. I cover it with padding. Still no progress.
Thank you

24

Answers

1 2 3
For those using the gel cushions for headsets, how are you keeping them on at night? I have a special needs child that is having this issue.

You can order it from places on line - Ones that carry essential oils should have it.

I am 45 and used to be a 100% back-sleeper but recently mostly do to some back stiffness I sleep on my side for a bit each night. Problem is, ow, my ear throbs/numbs. Bought and tried a bunch of contoured pillows - they're too big at the neck and impossible to sleep on when I turn to my back. On a whim, I tried an airline pillow with a velour side (against my face). I use it with the snap holding the ends together on top of my regular pillow. It cushions my face and head and allows my ear to be free! Velour is a plus. Love it. I just push it to the side when I sleep on my back. Cheap solution to preventing any sores if it works for you. Look at other responses for healing existing ones.

The Womfy Pillow changed the way I sleep. Not because of pressure sores in ears but because I have significant hearing loss and having my ear pressed against a pillow is uncomfortable for me.
The Womfy pillow has ear cut-outs in it. It's pricey but awesome.

Also sold as an anti-wrinkle pillow. LOL

This is a wonderful

You can buy pillows with a hole in them. They are designed to treat pressure sores and such. You can Google it or if links are allowed this is their website: www.thepillowwithahole

eBay has the gel cushion (designed for aviator headsets) at $18 a pair...free shipping. It's oval with oval opening for ear.

I had a severe ear abrasion issue. It even affected the cartilage in my ear. It came from sleeping on the same side all of the time. If I try to sleep on my right side or my back, even with a CPAP device, I have breathing issues. So I sleep on my right side.

I read up on the internet what my problem stems from, it was pillow abrasion. So I make an "ear foil" out of an 8" X 9" X 1" medium hardness foam rubber, which I purchased on the internet. I drew a shape in ear fashion (larger than my ear) and cut it out with an Exacto Knife. I did two of them and placed them on top of each other for head/ear suspension from the pillow. With this, my ear does not touch the pillow. After about a month and using some Cortisone cream it has cleared up and does not hurt or is the cartilage damaged any longer. Using two replaced not using a 2" thick foam as it is more difficult to cut.

Egg crate works better for eggs than humans - the little peaks compress down too much - ask for GeoMatt or T-Foam instead :-)

Maybe try a soft foam type of cushioning. Look for a egg crate foam.

Gel or very soft T-foam are about the only two things that will reduce pressure enough to allow sufficient blood flow to prevent breakdown to an area someone is laying on. A pillow with a hole or key-hole shape would work too as long as the pressure area stayed over the hole. The reason to ask if you're sure its a pressure area is that pressure areas in the ear would tend to be on the pinna, or outer ear, rather than "inside" if you mean inside the ear canal.

1 2 3