My mom had knee replacement surgery. Rehab wants to release her before she is able to drive.

Can they do this? She is 78 and lives alone. The Rehab facility she is in, wants to release her 2 days before my husband can get down to AZ to take care of her. Can they legally do this. She will be 2 weeks post surgery when they release her, but she will not be able to drive yet.

16

Answers

My sister recently had knee replacement surgery. The number of days in a rehab facility she had was zero. She went from hospital to home, well before she could drive. She had family to help her out for a few days while she was on strong pain pills. She got around well with a knee scooter. She had in-home PT. She recovered well.

The point is that there is not some magic number of in-facility rehab days that everyone who has knee replacement should have. Some might need none, others a couple of weeks, others longer. The determining factors concern meeting rehab goals.

Tedfs57: Not always 3 months! I can attest to that!!!!!!!

My mother was in rehab for three months at a nursing home facility. That is the length of time they are given to get the rehab they need and become able to care for themselves. Where we live there are several facilities that do this and they are on a rehab wing not with the other nursing home residents who are there all the time. The rehab team usually tells you if they think she will be able to manage alone or not. I would discuss this with them they might suggest that she needs more rehab before going home. Just an idea. Good luck and God Bless

I dont know about other states but we can keep someone in a rehab facility ir up to three

akgirl1961: They actually can and do do this! We had my late mother all set up in the rehab bed of the NH, expecting her to go to long-term unit when she was ready BECAUSE SHE COULD NOT CONTINUE TO LIVE ALONE IN HER OWN HOME HUNDREDS AND THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY FROM HER ADULT CHILDREN. One of those adult children was me. About 8 days in at the NH they had a family meeting, including my late mother and said to her "maam, you're too well to stay here." What a load, because less than 48 hours later at said NH she suffered an ischemic stroke, was transported to the hospital, where she later deceased. The NH did a "CYA" by calling me at the hospital asking me "do I want to do a bed hold?" That, of course, would have been at $410/day. Had I actually permanently lived in Massachusetts (my mother's home was there), but since I had to uproot my life and move in with my mother for the remainder of her life, I could have sued, but at that point, I was DONE! My mother just about drove me insane!

All good comments above - whether she can drive is not the determining factor

My mom at 84 had a broken shoulder, a broken back, renal failure from dehydration and an UTI requiring IV antibiotics and was released from rehab

Do what you can to bridge the time to your arrival but please don't assume your mom can live independently - knee replacement can be painful and infection can occur - you need a plan in place - if you are not her POA both financially and for health decisions then get this paperwork handled as well or could have a real crisis in an emergency situation

Also how kind of your husband going to help your mom

I love the idea of using an appeal to buy you time! But think about what you will do if it's granted....

No--the government controls the number of days a person can stay in a rehab facility! I'd think she could either stay another couple of days for private pay. Maybe someone else could pick her up. In my area Comfort Keepers are available around the clock for needs including transportation for $22 an hour. There's also Care Companion although this one is a little cheaper it's not a 24hr operation. Maybe she could stay with family until she can get around.

The inflexibility of Medicare. The entire system needs to be upgraded like any long term illness, the challenge of progression.

We were in a similar position - rehab wanted to release my mom but her new apartment wasn't quite ready - we private paid three extra days.