Have you seen recurrent urinary tract infections causing significant fatigue and tiredness?

My aging friend has noticed significant fatigue and tiredness, all day long, during recurrent urinary tract infections. The fatigue is out of proportion to her usual feeling of being mildly tired. Have you seen this in your elderly relatives or friends

23

Answers

1 2 3
My dad is 90 years old, has an enlarged prostate & cancer. Health great never no UTI's until he turned 90. Thank goodness my dad will be turning 91 in November 2017. PSA was normal start increasing when he turned 90 never went over PSA (24) now PSA (11) last checkup. I have been back and forth to the hospital with frequent UTI's the first one was really scary he had Sepsis, but came back strong and healthy. I do preventive care and have his bladder scan once a month at the urologist to make sure his bladder is being empty due to enlarged prostate and check his urine to avoid frequent UTI's. It is awful this is the only thing we have to fight hard to avoid, he wears depends, will work on getting him to go to the bathroom more to urinate, but with the enlarged prostate emptying totally can be a problem . My dad gets lethargic and back pain. This time around his right hand is flimpsy from the UTI always has to go the the hospitalized and stay a few days. I thought I had caught it early just had a checkup on on Sept. 11 urine was good, but back in the hospital again on Oct. 6, 2017 for a few days. This is really scary for the elderly, especially since my dad had Sepsis they did not think he was going to make it, but I knew this was not god's plan. Still fighting the fight to catch it early, considering low maintenance antibiotics daily but this is not a 100 cure this will not happen again, also do not want his body to get immune to antibiotic.

my mother is 87 has complains of burning urination but no infection. Dr told her to drinks lots of water with the antibiotic but that brought her sodium DOwn and had to go to ER. They put sodium IV and brought it back up. Now 2 weeks later is complaining about the same thing? She also had a dry mouth.

We have my mother on a daily cranberry pill and she has not had a UTI in 3 years.

After 3+ years of caring for my mother thru UTI's, MRSA, E-Coli and Sepsis I have seen a lot. Everyone has good ideas as cases can vary somewhat. Tiredness is often a UTI symptom espcially if the individaul has reoccuriring UTI's - their body and mind just tire more quickly from the constant fight. But another cause that should be considered esp. in the elderly is their IONIC Calcium level. This is not a regular calcium level and it requires a special lab test and but it is worth it! Aftera 4 day hospital stay where doctors could find no reason for mom's weakness and fatique, a doctor friend advised me to have them check her IONIC calcium. He was spot on and once they discovered it and gave her IV fluids for 2 days she was back to her old self! So there can be and often are other causes and as advocates we have to keep on top of things so they don't get missed!

My BIL had UTI's frequently and I don't think they are anything to mess with. He later found out that he had a problem that his kidneys were not completely emptying which caused severe infection and he was extremely ill, so much so we thought we would lose him. I would really see a doctor (or a new one) to make sure it isn't something more severe.

UTI's are a fact of life for older females. I am the caregiver for my wife for the last 6 1/2 years. We have fought the battle of UTI's for the last 2 years. Proper hygiene and lots of water are the the most important parts of controlling the UTI's. A maintenance dose of Cipro (250 mg) should be part of the equation also. We use baby wipes front to back for every time she goes. You can try cranberry extract or juice but be careful because they can give you an upset stomach from all the acid. To answer your original question, I believe your friend needs a full blood work-up before doing anything else. Your friend will have to know what is wrong first before trying any other type of treatment.

Good Luck!!!

Confusion, lethargy are more hallmarks of UTI's in the elderly than pain and frequency. Always check for a UTI first and make sure a culture is sent when they do a urinalysis so the correct antibiotics are ordered.

My mom is 85, she has Alzhiemers/Dementia, and she also suffers from UTI's frequently. I have noticed that her symtoms cause her almost stroke symptoms. She is very sluggish, may have eyelids that droop, confusion and weakness. Many times I have really thought that she has had a stroke, but then she seems to snap out of it. I always suggest to her many doctors when I started noticiing the signs of the strong odor urine to please check to see if she has one and 9 times out of 10 she does. You cannot go by the frequency of urination in an Alzhiermer's patient, because they forget that they have just gone to the bathroom, so you have to watch for other tell tale signs like the odor, incontinence, sluggishness, dizziness, falls etc. I really do wish that there was something that could be done to combat this problem, but they grow amune to the antibiotics if taken on a regular basis, so we as the care givers just have to be aware of what to look out for and be quick to act. I think the most standoutish sign is the strong odor of the urine. Even when my mother drinks plenty (which I have to really work hard to make her drink alot), she still will have this first symptom and that is a very important one. I hope that this helps somewhat.

Like everyone else, my elderly mom gets UTI's quite frequently. Never any typical symptoms but I can tell by her actions. Make sure the Dr ALWAYS has the urine sent out for a culture ! Seems like every other UTI she gets is resistant to Cipro and they have to change her meds after the results come back. On going battle ,no matter how hard I try to do all of the right things for her. Mom has good hygiene and this has been going on for about 3 yrs. She was on low dose Keflex daily for about 1 yr. There was no real change in the pattern so the Dr has now stopped that. Best of Luck

My mom passed away 3 months ago and to this day I think it was a result of a UTI. Over the past several years she would get frequent UTI's and was able to let me know when she thought she had one. I know I took very good care of her, I had 2 wonderful caregivers who I told them what to look for and asked them to make sure they kept her clean. I took her to the doctors on a regular basis, and checked often when her symptoms of dementia got worse. This past year she no longer had the ability to let me know when she though she had one. She developed one in January (probably). I had her checked in February by the doctor and took her to ER. She had another one and never got better. Hospice started 2-6-13 and my mom passed away 3-6-13. I do have guilt that I did not pick up this infection soon enough. It can kill them. Though they did says she had alzheimers, I do not believe she did. She had some dementia and no other health issues. Please be very aware of UTI's in the elderly. Even though it was very had this past year, I miss her every day.

1 2 3