Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good, hopefully not hugely expensive, security camera system? - AgingCare.com

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a good, hopefully not hugely expensive, security camera system?

My mom, with fairly severe Alzheimer's, has a full-time, non-familly caregiver in her home for the first time. I/we want to install security cameras as a safety measure. I live 2 hours away and can't be with Mom as much as I'd like, so I need a reliable way to check on her. I know this means wifi enabled

What do you use?
Why do you like it?
What features are most helpful?
Thank you!!

20

Answers

My FIL is a wanderer and we need several cameras (currently eight cameras and we need more) for our large wooded lot. Since I didn't want to invest a great deal of money I took some old smartphones and made a security system. You can waterproof the phone fairly well by wrapping them with packing tape. Blue Isis is a good cheap security monitoring software and there is a free IP camera app at the play store. You have to have a good battery, a constant power supply, a strong Wifi and a good computer for this system but most people have that anyway. Each phones has a front and rear camera plus sound so they work good outside. It takes a little doing to set it up and maintaining but it is a lot cheaper. We have one regular security camera connected to Blue Isis and the phone cameras have a sharper video. Blue Isis also has a trigger function to alert you if there is motion.

I'm going to try putting an iPhone in Mom's kitchen and using the 'Presence' app for the rest of the week of the caregiver's stay and after for the near future. I'll let you know how the installation and the actual use works out!

BTW, I'm starting with this because I have it available. Most of the cameras have to be ordered. I'm still making my decision about them.

I would also be interested to hear more info about cameras, such as hidden cameras, from those who have experience with same. Recommendations, pricing, level of experience needed for installation and operation, etc. Naysayers need not comment, thanks.

yes, excellent topic...and would still like to hear more! thanks

THANK YOU ALL!!!! (...well, except for one noted negative nellie who didn't stick to the topic… and she got her own private response concerning her judgment and negativity!) Your answers have been extremely helpful and enlightening. I have learned so much and now have some great new ideas and avenues to research, whereas before I felt like I was spinning in circles. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Since RobinF didn't like what I said in a private note, I might add I only answer given the information I am handed. Going ballistic on me will not solve your camera issue. I just don't happen to have any electronic gadgets including a cell phone, so I was trying to provide other alternatives. Sorry RobinF. Merry Christmas!

This is a great question...and i needed info on security cams also...because i need to hire someone to help clean the house. and yes, ferris1 always has something negative to say!! so much for support for valid questions??

Thanks for your ideas, everyone. Passing them along.

I had a guy install security cameras (audio and video). I was able to check live on my phone at any time. The feed was also recorded, and I could play it back. I paid about $2500 for the system and 5 "night vision" cameras. No monthly fee. If you're in NY, NJ, or CT, private mail me and I'll give you the guy's information. Highly recommended. Anytime you have a caregiver in your home, you need to keep an eye on things. Take all valuables out of the house. (I've even had caregivers steal towels and drinking glasses!) Stay on top of things. You or someone you trust need to show your face at least a couple of times a week. Good luck. Been there and wishing you the best.

The D-link system does have recording capability. Different models have different capabilities. Please check the specifications to ensure the model you purchase meets your needs, regardless of the manufacturer. Additionally, not all people with Alzheimer's wander. And different facilities offer different levels of care. My mother is in independent living and the facility offers "memory care" when she is ready to transition. The "memory care" unit is a secure area with doors that require a key code to unlock. This ensures that residents are unable to wander away. Not sure what type of facility your parent is in or what services are offered but the most important thing is to make sure the camera system meets your individual requirements. One size does not fit all!