Can anyone recommend a good, light weight transport wheelchair to use for doctor appointments, taking mom out etc.? - AgingCare.com

Can anyone recommend a good, light weight transport wheelchair to use for doctor appointments, taking mom out etc.?

Can anyone recommend a good light weight transport wheelchair to use for doctor appointments, taking mom out for lunch, etc.? Brand names / models would be appreciated. Thanks

5

Answers

Ours is Medline Excel...it is the red one with the little larger back wheels. It is much easier to get up and down curbs than the regular transport chair. We purchased it from Amazon for about a hundred dollars 2 years ago. Mom has gone everywhere in it ;-)...track meets, shopping, church, the park, you name it.

I second the comment about the small wheels, they are really not able to handle more than a few feet down a rough sidewalk nor are they easy to manoeuvre over door thresholds. I used an inexpensive foldable wheelchair and was able to lift it into the trunk fairly easily.

Call you local social services and ask if they have any donated ones available. In my area I can call other towns as well. I was surprised at the volume and variety of items that I found for my mom

I bought mom a Hugo years ago which she now mostly sits in all day with a cushion seat - it folds up easily and she can scoot around in it as the wheels pivot

I bought the one that Walgreen's carried and it gave us many years of use. Still have it in storage for someone else who might need it. Eventually she had to "graduate" to a regular wheelchair. We started off with one from Walgreen's, then bought one from a DME provider, then hospice rented one for her that had features she needed. I will say that the small wheels of the transport chair are excellent for what you mentioned, but don't handle rough terrain.