Can anyone recommend a personal emergency response system?

My soon to be 87 year old mother still lives by herself. She has recently spent the night on the floor because she didn't want to "bother" anyone. An even older neighbor has had good results from a pendant type personal emergency response system. I know the brand he users...LifeAlert. Is there another system that you would recommend?

26

Answers

1 2 3
How about Life Alert or Phillips Lifeline?

You may wish to consider the cell phone called Jitterbug. It has a 5 Star call button that connects the user with an agent in California who contacts your local 911 and family member. The Jitterbug serves me well as a 87 y.o. caregiver.

Thank you for all of your responses. They still are very valuable.

lmb1234 try checking out this video, I think they already released the product and can be bought online :)

website: xandem/tmd-demo-kit

I think $400-$600 per year is a rip-off. My mother still has her Freedom Alert from about 4 years ago. They run about $300 (one time fee). One I sold 4 years ago to a local customer finally died and she called to have us deliver one to her right away. She loved it and didn't want to take a shower without it- it looked well worn with about 4 years of food on it.................

Thanks for asking this question I am looking into one (two) of these for my parents.
But I was surprised to read that there are many false alarms with the new "Fall Detection". If you take a nap the system might think you've fallen.
It would be nice to see the actual data from these companies on how many users have pushed their button, etc. Like a controlled study between 10,000 users of a system compared to 10,000 non-users, and was there a statistical advantage to having spent $400 to $600 per year on the system, after a few years it really adds up and I'm wondering if it's worth it (for people on limited incomes).

The system karenlorenzo speaks of sounds great but, unfortunately, it looks from the link that it won't be on the market for 3 years. I agree with her, though, that dementia related issues can prevent the wearer from either being able to, or remembering, to push the button on the more common devices. But, they are still better than nothing at all at this point.

Phillips lifeline my mom used, and she had to use it when she fell last December in her parking lot. They are very good.

There is a new device that does not need to be worn nor require you to push a button to be able to call for help. It can be concealed in the walls of your house or long term care facility and it can detect not only falls but also slips, and the device can also pinpoint the exact location where the accident happened. There are cases where long term care dementia patients forgot to wear their sensor device, and other seniors often do not push the button in their alarm so their alert system will not be of great help. You may want to check the details of this device which is a breakthrough for seniors and long term care dependent at infolongtermcare.org ( http://www.infolongtermcare.org/iltc-news/newly-developed-sensors-allow-convenient-detection-falls/ ). I believe that the device is distributed by xandem technology.

Zdarov- saw your e-mail on Freedom Alerts- LogicMark is the manufacturer and I could find them online. They had some early problems when I first bought them about 4 years ago but my customers have been very happy with them.

1 2 3