Can receiving a blood transfusion cause mental issues?

My grandma just spent 10 days in the hospital and after receiving blood and having a right colectomy she is having serious mental status changes. No one at the hospital seemed worried and no one at the assisted living facility does either. She is 81 and tiny maybe 85 pounds. I am very worried. Suggestions?

16

Answers

I had a transfursion 94 an every since, I have been having trouble balances out my life to go back to how it us to be. I see things, hear things

Gosh you have got your hands full! TED hose was the way to go. You do need to be vigilant with those legs so that the leaks do not get infected. I expect the nurses told you this but try and keep grandmothers legs elevated. Also elevate the foot of her bed. If you don't have blocks a pile of books works and /or put her legs on pillows lengthwise. Don't put pillows under her knees as this cuts off the circulation. Walmart was recently selling bed elevators. they were aimed at college kids so they could raise their beds and get storage underneath. Other than that keep up the good work.

Veronica - Yes they are the same Grandparents - Grandmas mother had Alzheimer's and so we have been vigilant to those type of signs to look for. Other then forgetting a restaurants name or something on her grocery list (that we all do) she has been pretty clear.

She seems to be doing better but we have had a pretty rough ride. After the hospital she still had some pretty bad edema in her hands and feet - no indication of pneumonia or anything like that. Her hands got better but gravity took over and the swelling moved to her feet. Saturday night I went up to take her meds and found that her legs had sprung leaks. I had never seen anything of the sort and so with the help of the nursing staff we got TED hose on her and this morning they looked SOOOO much better.... now it will be blood pressure issues.... And my kids are sick..... I just cant catch a break!

Being in the hospital can cause an elderly person to be confused and delusional as well. On top of the anesthesia and the surgery I'm not surprised it's taken it's toll on her. Some of our elderly folk never bounce back 100% from such an ordeal, some do. Also, an abdominal surgery is brutal. It's excruciating and the recovery is so painful. However, after 10 days I would expect her to have bounced back. You may want to talk to her Dr.

Hi Dance Is this the same grandma living with grandpa in A/L with the alcohol and smoking problems? This might explain a lot. Were there subtle changes before the surgery that you put down to the old partying lifestyle. Could this be an acceleration of a previously ignored alcoholic dementia. Alcoholics are very good at covering for themselves. Was grandma always a little eccentric, did not appear to take things seriously? Being so ill may have caused her to loose some of her filters. As she gets better see if all this improves

If it's any consolation my Mom was totally confused after having gall bladder removed at 88 yrs old, they had to keep her in the hospital for 6 days which is an outpatient procedure for most..

Give her time, she'll come around...

Anesthesia and the elderly = a fine recipe for delusion.

Sorry Dance when I wrote my first reply did not read yours properly and thought grandma had just had the surgery.Ten days ago makes all the difference especially as she has recovered so well. She is certainly doing her best to get well and the outlook seems very good. as others have said the effects of anesthesia and narcotic drugs on the elderly are much more pronounced. Based on her current progress I would say you can look forward to many more wake up calls

Haha, a wake up call at 2 a.m. IS pretty funny. We need a laugh once in awhile...sorry if it is at the expense of your sleep.

But, this is GREAT news, it sounds like she's a fighter, a "tough old bird" as they used to call my mom! That may make all the difference in her recovery. Keep up your positive support!!!

We have an appointment set up with our primary in about 10 days so I am really looking to figure out what to tell him. He doctors our whole family (4 generations) and has for at least 24 years. He KNOWS us. I know that some of the issues like hallucinations and thinking it was around 1964 were from the morphine and most of that stopped but like last night she called me at 2am for my "Early morning wake up call" (She was a front desk clerk at a motel for 20 years.) At least we have come from the 1960's to the 1980's..... I just told her that I wanted her to call me when she woke up in the morning. Must be more specific next time. Like call me when you wake up and the sun is shining..... She is still very active (way more than I would be after having surgery)