What are some reasons we can tell Mom why she can't drive? - AgingCare.com

What are some reasons we can tell Mom why she can't drive?

My Mom has dementia and insist on driving.

15

Answers

I meant HE had to get to work... He's had 2 pretty lucid days. if only it was 30 years ago.... People are still alive. He used to live in our vacation cabin (my in laws have owned it for 45 years... Our boat is his.. on and on....

It dosent matter When you tell them.. they will forget again again and again!! dad has not driven in a year, and today it all came back up... along with "who sold the house" and I have to get to work... I',m tired

Yes, I think that Pam and freqflyer, were smart enough or lucky enough to make their "don't drive" appeals while there was still few functioning neurons to work with. I really thought that one would work, (the appeal to Dad's fear of losing everything financially) But it didn't. Dad just spouted more nonsense: "No they won't sue" and "I've never had an accident" (a lie) or "They can't take anything". And then as soon as I leave him alone, he's out the door and in the car. He's out driving right now....So don't wait. I waited too long. All I can do now is wait some more... It likely won't be long, I just hope it isn't something really horrible that happens...... There was a new crack in the tail light last Friday. I can only wonder what, or who he hit.

Pam, that I what I had told my Dad... that all his hard work, saving every last penny for the past 90 years would go to someone else.

Every now and then Dad will bring up driving when I say *no* I don't have time to drive him and Mom some place. I use to get hysterical whenever he said he would drive, it was like talking to a wall, over and over for the past 5 years... now I just remind Dad that he needs to call the car insurance agent to have his name placed back on the policy.

The only thing that got through to her is that " If you get in an accident and they sue you, you will lose everything. Your house, your savings, EVERYTHING."

The hearing wouldn't be a problem for a normally thinking person, because they would wear their hearing aid. My Dad just insists he hears fine, and won't wear it, while he's deaf as a stone. Like I said, the fact is that with dementia patients you can just take every single reason off the list. Because they won't listen to any of them. ...Looloo has is right, with dementia there is no reasoning ability, so reasons don't help at all.

With my dad, we told him that we were concerned because he had those dizzy spells and we didn't want him hurt by those crazy jackrabbits (his term for bad drivers). He'd always had low blood pressure so was used to feeling dizzy routinely.

One item I would take off the list is the poor hearing... if someone was giving *me* that reason for not driving I would be focused on the fact that there are millions of people who are deaf who drive.

GardenArtist. That sounds really nice, but can you offer an example, because I haven't the foggiest notion of one.

That should read: "but it'll be easier for your mother to accept if it's presented in a way that makes her feel good about herself, and will leave her with some dignity."

Also be prepared to present alternatives as her first thoughts will probably be how she'll get around, on whom can she depend, what if there's an emergency, will she become a burden, etc.