Are you ready for your flu shot? - AgingCare.com

Are you ready for your flu shot?

Had mine last Saturday, been getting them for decades. Never had any reactions. I got the regular shot which contains 4 strains.

My sig other was at the grocery store checking on a product and he noticed the pharmacy had flu shots, so he asked about them. He got the "senior" flu shot that contains 3 strains at a higher dosage. Plus he got a coupon for $5 at the grocery hot bar, you think he had struck gold :) Now with the "senior" flu shot, the pharmacist said it will make you very tired for a couple of hours, and sure enough it did. He's back to normal today.

My parents use to get their flu shots every year even up into their mid-to-late 90's. Not once did they ever have an issue.

40

Answers

1 2 3 4
Thanks for the remind freqflyer. I know its a must.

Has anyone got that ongoing cough? Respirtory infection? I had a cough over 2 weeks, stopped, and got it again... A friend in another state, yes I do have some friends, his office got sick, and then it went around a second time. I friend's old auntie just died of an upper respirotory infection... So, older people cannot bounce back.... If you see anyone coughing or struggling more than a week, get em to doctor and convince family member to take em..... This is nothing to cough about.....

Indeed, Ali, I was sick over Christmas, so no turkey, barely any decorations, we had Indian food Xmas Eve with our grands, and then both of us went to bed and slept for a week. It took several weeks after that before we were fully recovered (hubs had it too).

Pneumonia vaccines are good for 5-10 years, too, so seems a great idea for anyone older or in bad health to get one... since pneumonia can be difficult to recover from.

ilovemom: You can get shots for pneumonia. I had one. Six months later I got it (pneumonia, that is), but my doctor said I would have had a worse case if I'd not got the shot.

Remember the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918/1919? (Well, I didn't mean that literally ;=) ... My grandmother said that everyone who wasn't sick was nursing. Fortunately my g'mother survived. Her brother's wife didn't. So I get my flu shot every year.

I agree with you freqflyer. You don't get the flu from a flu shot. As you said, it takes 2 weeks for immunity to build up so if a person gets sick right away, its because they were already exposed, or were exposed during that two weeks. The nurse specifically told me this year - be careful for the next two weeks because you are not immune yet. My sister used to claim she got the flu from the shot every year, so she stopped getting it. Then she and her husband got REALLY sick with the flu. From then on, she got the shot and doesn't get the flu any more. I figure that even if it cuts my risk by 50% its worth it. The older you are, the more chance the flu will put you in the hospital with pneumonia and that can be fatal.

Well, for what it's worth, I've already had the flu (B) this year, in September. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. It was officially diagnosed, so it wasn't just a cold. We usually get the shot in November because the flu comes late to this area, but this year it's early, they said. Fortunately, Mom didn't get it from me even though I was taking care of her before I was diagnosed. I had to let other people take over for a few days until my fever went down.

I don't have children so I am not familiar with vaccines for them, but I do know I need them for my cats. As we all know dealing with aging parents we put off not only our own doctor appointments but that of our pets.

I finally got my boy in for his much needed rabies shot, distemper and leukemia shots. Couple days later he couldn't keep any food down, so we took him to the Animal ER where they ran a battery of test. Doctor figured since Charlie was years behind in getting his shots that could have been the cause. Lesson learned.

Now I have two other cats [female] who aren't outdoors that much, and run from danger [where Charlie runs toward danger and makes friends with any critter that passes through the yard], that we will only do the rabies shot and nothing else on the other two.

Talking about funerals...Saw the Dignity advertisement next to this...DO NOT EVER EVERY PRE-purchase a casket, especially from a brick and mortar store. They can move their business or go out of business, and not tell you....Happenedd to a friend. Now they are trying to locate the business to collect the casket that was paid for 5 years ago so they can proceed with funeral plans.....Yikes! It might be easier to buy another one, and count your losses...So rule #1, just wait to buy a casket. Locate Caskets stores near you, you may get a better price, just shop a bit. Costco sells caskets? I don't belong, but heard that rumor. And then funeral homes have transport fees from hospital to funeral home for processing? Didn't know that either. Expensive cost you don't know exists.....Good night.

1 2 3 4