Read any good books lately? - AgingCare.com

Read any good books lately?

Soooo, as caregivers , we often find ourselves with time on our hands-not free time really, as we are still watching our loved one, but time when we need something to do. I love to read! I love to read scary ( but not gory) books. I am reading a pretty good spooky story called "The Loon" right now which is about a psychiatric prison about to go bonkers when a white out snow storm cuts them off from the outside. -and it was only 3.99 -but , I fear, it may have some gore in it so be warned.

So-how's about you guys? Any readers out there? Any good books to suggest? Or do you have another activity that you do that keeps you sane?

49

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
i recently re read micheal crichtons jurassic park as i loved it when i was younger. really glad iv read it again, its so much better than the film!

If you would like to branch out in a different category, my husband and I just finished reading John Jakes' series of 8 books, "The Kent Family Chronicles", and it was fabulous. we passed it on to our friends and they couldn't wait to get the next book.

Yes. "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime"; a story told from the perspective of an autistic young man. Excellent read. "Girl on the Train"; a psychological thriller; can't put it down once you start.
"The Shack"; about a man who tragically loses his daughter to a child abductor and his struggle to overcome the trauma via faith.
All are so worth the time invested.

I read mostly non-fiction, mainly social commentary and memoirs/biographies. I just reread two very interesting books: Nickeled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich (about the reality of working unskilled minimum-wage jobs in America), and The Long Walk, about a group of prisoners who escaped Siberia during WWII and travelled on foot through Russia, Mongolia, Tibet and into India. I tried to reread "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman, but found it hopelessly dated after the events of recent years. Also interesting was "The Imam's Daughter", about a Pakistani girl growing up in a Muslim enclave in England, who fled to escape being shipped back to Pakistan for an unwanted arranged marriage. I like to know how the other half lives (and lived). Except it's way, way more than half -it's almost all the people living everywhere in the world who have a very different experience than we have here.

I just finished The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I actually listened to it on CD, and yes, it was grom the library.

"Behind Every Dark Cloud - A Caregivers' Heart (authored by Bernita A. Glenn). It is written to encourage and shed light on who a caregiver is and how and why we are a chosen people. I would hope that it would help every Caregiver on his/her journey. It is a small book which can be read over a period of a couple of hours. God bless you. We are a special and extraordinary people.

For those of you with ereaders, please check out your libraries. I get all of my ebooks for FREE from my local library. It's wonderful and no having to drive to return them. Just a click and they're checked back in! Sweeeet!!

I love to read, I just devour books. I would go to the library and take out several books but I would always find myself running out of things to read. Over Christmas I got a Kindle and it has completely changed my life! Now I have books anytime I want them and all the books I can handle. Most are less than $10.

Right now I'm reading "One Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same Afghan writer who wrote "Kite Runner" (his name escapes me right now). It's such a good book, such a good story.

I love these same books and am lucky because I live by one of the bookstores that Steve Hamilton comes to speak at, every once in awhile here in the Lower Peninsula.

For the other side of things, another series set in Michigan is the Chocoholic mysteries by JoAnna Carl.

I enjoyed the Smilla movie with Julia Ormond (although it doesn't capture the whole shoe thing, which I thought was interesting) and the Millennium series movies done in Norweigian with subtitles. Peter Hoeg's "Borderliners" is an interesting book, which I claim is about how traumatic the passage of time, any simple thing actually, can be traumatic to a damaged person. It was available at the libraries when it was translated to English but not sure if it's still readily available.

Also want to mention Camilla Lackberg while she's on my mind.

Also, find it a treat to read some of the older classic mysteries. Anything by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Ross McDonald, Ed McBain, etc... And I enjoy reading Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon" and watching the Bogart movie version right away to catch the few differences, as they are really quite close.

Hey Geo, I also love dark Scandinavian mysteries. If you like to watch them, you can see episodes of different foreign series for free at http://www.mhznetworks.org/programs/full-episodes. They just started new Wallanders with Krister Henrickson, one of my favorites.

I also love Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankel, Hakan Nesser Karen Fossum. Smilla's Sense of Snow is one of my favorite books. I also love mysteries by US authors, C.J. Box (his all take place in Wyoming) and Steve Hamilton (his all take place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan).

1 2 3 4 5