Is QVC Predatory With Seniors?

My 88 year old mother has burned through tens-of-thousands of dollars on QVC over the past decade buying multiples of useless things. She lives alone, is in the advance stages of Congestive Heart Failure and consequently is unable to do much in the physical activities; she's out of breath just walking to her mailbox.
In her basement are mountains of QVC shipping boxes and packing materials.
She actually has 3 weed whackers that are still shrink wrapped.
I have answered her phone while visting and it was actually aperson from QVC trying to sell her something.
She has started to give the things she buys away to the UPS man, the mailman, the lawn care people.

She does not have dementia.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this situation? Can one stop QVC from selling her things?

15

Answers

What is next? Stop all the advertisements on television? One can just as easily shop via TV ads and toll free telephone numbers. Stop advertisements in magazines or newspapers? Look at all the ads on the internet, you can't get away from them.

It's not the TV show's fault or the advertisers fault that a person has no control when it comes to shopping. It's a medical addiction that needs help, similar to that of gambling. People gamble and lose their life savings, shall all the casinos close up? Stop the lotteries?

Unhappysister2, I hear you loud and clear.

One always knows they’re dealing with an exploiter when they hear things from them like someone "has the right to shop.”

Yes, my mother "has the right to shop” for endless cakes and confections from QVC, but as a result, she now has full blown Diabetes Type 2 and will eventually become a burden on the tax payers when she spends the last of her money with you and has to go on Medicaid.

Such a state of affairs.

I have a sister who is brain damaged an off shot of this is a hoarding/shopping addicition.
On three seperate occassions I have contacted HSN &QVC asking that they stop doing business with my sister. I have sent letters discribing her disabilty and the financial damage she is doing to herself by shopping with these firms. Along with my Power of Attorney documents. Every time I write the close down the accounts I reference in my letter and within weeks open new accounts for my sister. Both companies told me they would not stop doing business with her nor would they flag her accounts for no further business. They even had the audicity to tell me my sister has the "right " to shop and they will continue to do business with her. They do prey on people who are lonely. My sister is on a first name basis with the firms sales people and spends hours on the phone with them. She calls to purchase a dress and by the time she's off the phone they have convinced her to buy the matching shoes, jacket, jewelry, hand bag, etc. I have blocked their cable stations and she manages to find a way to get them unblocked every time I do so. The Better Business Bureau won't even rate these firms. There has got to be a way to stop them from taking advantage of people. DC HIKE

The fact that these elders are watching so much TV, such as QVC, tells me they have too much time on their hands. Get them out to the senior centers so they can socialize with people of their own age group.

This happened with my Mother in Law. When the family found out, my sister in law stepped in and packaged up all the recent purchases and returned them for refund. Then she took my MIL's credit card away. It ended there.When she passed away her credit card debt was sky high and she had no assets so they ended up taking the hit. QVC on the other hand did quite well for themselves before my MIL was shut off.
QVC is doing what business does, taking full advantage of willing consumers but I think it's not a bad idea for there to be more public awareness around this issue.

It's very simple. Turn the channel. Blaming QVC for Shopaholics is like blaming a barley farmer for drunks. Poor impulse control is not the problem of manufacturers and distributors.

I took agree the temptation can be very strong. What people don't realize is how dishonest these people are, that they don't care about those they harm and that they really are a PREDITOR COMPANY. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND REMOVING THESE CHANNELS FROM YOUR CABLE PROGRAMMING. You can do this by going to the channel and checking it to not be included in the line up of channels. You might also seek help from your cable provider and even block outgoing calls to this company from your phone. It's time our state and federal attorney generals got involved. As is stands, you can't tell what they credit you, whether its accurate and when your did get the return of shipping charges associated with damaged or misrepresented items. I'm sure I have been ripped off in a number of ways and so I'm going to try to help others.

I don't have a question or an answer as to the "QVC Predatory with Seniors" topic. But I do have a brief story regarding my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law worked hard her whole life. She lost her husband when they both retired at the age of 65. When she was 68 she moved to Nebraska to be closer to her daugher and grand daughter. Thus, when she sold her home to move, she netted close to $200,000, was bringing in a decent monthly amount of Social Security and her new, small home was paid for. We all thought she was in a pretty decent financial situation regarding all of the above. A paid for house, a nice amount in her savings account, and a decent amount of Social Security coming in monthly. That is, until she discovered QVC. We discovered that in just 7 years, she spent her entire $200,000 on QVC items, in addition to running up three separate credit cards totalling around $14,000 with QVC and now there are debt collectors after her. All of this money and credit spent on QVC!! I am not saying that QVC is a predator or not a predator ... I just wanted this story out there, so hopefully, others can stop this from happening to their elderly relatives. Its a sad, sad situation, unreversable situation.

Spoozi-Save your money on the Retinol products! LOL. I buy generic Retin A (Tretinoin) for less than half the price you are paying to QVC. It does work miracles (almost). Ask your Dr. or Dermatologist.

And, yes, I tried tackling the catalog issue numerous times when Dad was alive. The companies would write him to let him know what had been done! I tried to get rid of them. I would throw them in the bushes when I brought the mail inside. My father was always stationed by the window, looking, so he could see the mail. He lived for the mail. The catalog problem was an uphill battle and I now have a strong dislike for certain companies that created such financial havoc for us. Oriental Trading Company still sends multiple catalogs per month, even though they've received notices that the recipient is dead. They drive me crazy.