Can quetiapine fumarate (25 mg) work for an 87 y/o who has delusions and hallucinations? - AgingCare.com

Can quetiapine fumarate (25 mg) work for an 87 y/o who has delusions and hallucinations?

Took mom to neuro, all tests neg. He referred her to a pyschiatrist who gave her the meds. A week later + she seems to b getting worse. She didnt sleep all night last night where she normally does. She hears voices in her head + thinks a man is living in her apt + trying to kill her. She is at my house temporarily, One of my teenage sons had to give up his room for her and there really is no extra room for her to stay. I know she needs assisted living with dementia care unit. I dont know what to do first. Any info is greatly appreciated.

26

Answers

1 2 3
Also, AgingCare can help you, too!

"A Place for Mom" can help you to find the right facility for your mom. I found them to be very helpful and kind. You can find them online.

Jeanne, I could not agree more! A geriatrician, at a minimum! Neurologists, geriatric psychiatrists, I tried everything to try to help my mom. Now sib is in charge, I have nothing to do with it, not even updated of changes. Dementia destroys not only the brain, but the families of those with this horrid disease.

gladimhere, I am so thankful for Coy's doctor's attitude and policies. When we started with him (researcher/neurologist at Mayo Clinic) he was encouraging that although there isn't a cure there are many things to try, to control symptoms. He would only work on ONE symptom at a time, and only when that treatment had stabilized would he move on to another. He asked us which symptom was most bothersome and that we wanted to start with. (We chose sleeping through the night.) He never introduced more than one drug at a time. So putting the whole drug cocktail together took months ... but it worked for years once we got it right.

All drugs have the possibility of working differently in different people. The brain damage involved in different kinds of dementia make individual reactions more pronounced. Each drug needs to be tried and observed. Starting multiple drugs at once for a dementia patient is NOT a good idea!

It is a "guessing game" and there is lots of "trial and error" -- and this needs to be in hands of someone who knows what he/she is doing!

Jeanne and Veronica are correct. Seroquel works wonders for my Mom, but Xanax has the completely opposite effect on her as is intended. When meds are prescribed by physicians it often becomes a guessing game and trial and error to find what will work for each individual patient.

I think what Veronica91 says is true about drugs in general, but it really seems to apply to Seroquel very strongly! In my local support group nearly all of us tried it. When it works it is a "miracle drug." When it doesn't work it can make things worse. Fortunately the bad side effects are not permanent.

Seroquil can be a very tricky drug. It can work beautifully for one patient and have the opposite effect on another.

The smallest dosage it comes in is 25 mg. For about nine months I was cutting those tiny pills in half. Get a pill cutter at the pharmacy and try a lower dosage if ok with the doctor. That will probably help and I would not switch to another drug until you give the 12.5 mg for awhile first.

By the way Gladimhere ..I was told that the Med's lowest dosage was 25..Not 12.5....Interesting.....I will call the Pharmacy again tomorrow!
Thanks.....

Mom had very infrequent hallucinations. Has your mom been checked for a urinary tract infection? Those can cause all sorts of symptoms! How much QF is she taking, how many times a day? It did not knock my mom out like Jeanne experienced, but did make her sleep well.

1 2 3