I am interviewing caregivers for mom. What are some good questions to ask? - AgingCare.com

I am interviewing caregivers for mom. What are some good questions to ask?

Thank you for your answers.

16

Answers

make sure you call people caregiver has worked for ... and those are not always real?? i haven't read all the responses...but i would definitely have a cam....there is a lot of abuse out there....and that has always scared me!!

More than whether or not the patient likes her/his caregiver at first meeting, I think it's important to note how the caregiver reacts to negative treatment. If your LO is anything like mine, she/he is going to reject any stranger who comes in and tries to take the place of a familiar caregiver.

I agree with what ferris said. See the interaction between your parent and the potential caregiver. I would try to set it up so that its natural too. Try to provide a situation that appears natural so that you can be a fly on the wall so to speak.
If your parent does not like the caregiver all the other stuff goes by the wayside so to speak. So definitely make sure they are qualified, that goes without saying but the interaction between your Mom and them is most important by far.

Action is better than words. People can say a lot of things to make you believe that they are a great many years experience. First day,show that caregiver how to do your love one routines. Day 2,you show caregiver how you did for your love one while you watching of that caregiver's body languages(stress taste) Day 3 let caregiver do her/his tasks. You will find out if you hire the right caregiver.

I like your questions, Brie. Planning follow-up question will help you avoid the "miss America answers".

When one gets good at interviewing it becomes more of a conversation - you're still able to ask all the questions but there is a more natural flow, putting the applicant more at ease.

How do you go about getting background check? Can you just ask the police to run the check for you?

I will be looking for a caregiver for my mom who has ALZ and I've put a few questions together. The caregiver will be coming from an agency and the agency conducts criminal background checks. I want to know what kind of experience the person has dealing with a person with ALZ and how they would interact with my mother. Here are some of my questions:

1. How long have you been a caregiver?

2. What are your strongest skills in caregiving?

3. Tell me about five different people for whom you have been a caregiver.
3a. What caregiving skills did you perform for them?
3b. What was a typical day like for you?

4. Tell me about your most rewarding experience as a caregiver?

5. Tell me about the most challenging experience you have had as a caregiver and how you dealt with the challenge.

6. Tell me about your former work experience before you became a caregiver.
6a. What skills from these jobs have you been able to use as a caregiver?

7. Why did you decide to become a caregiver?

8. What would be your ideal day as a caregiver?

9. Tell me what have you learned from being a caregiver?

Depending on the answers I would ask follow-up questions. These are just a few questions that I hope would open up a dialogue and give me a sense of the caregivers strengths and how they may perform as a caregiver for my mother. I know that answering questions does not always give you a true picture but it will give me a sense of what their work experience has been in dealing with persons with ALZ, how they have handled certain situations and how they would interact with my mother.

Think of yourself and what you would want to know about the person. Also, see how the interviewee interacts with your loved one and visa versa. There are no set questions and most times it is just gut instinct that will guide you.

Would absolutely recommend a criminal background check as well as a drug screen prior to hiring. If you go through an agency make sure they do this, don't just assume they do. If they are licensed as a Health Care Aide, Certified Nursing Assistant, Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse check with the State Board of Nursing to make sure no actions have been taken against them.
Good Luck in your search.

p.s. I didn't mean to imply that the applicant should be wearing a suit to the interview - but they should be dressed in a way that indicates a desire to impress. In interviewing for a caregivers job there is nothing wrong with the applicant showing up in a uniform but it should be clean, in good repair and look like there was an attempt made to wear their best uniform.