I don't receive or pay any of my 99 year old mother's bills, but moved in to take care of her. Can I qualify for a care giver tax deductions? - AgingCare.com

I don't receive or pay any of my 99 year old mother's bills, but moved in to take care of her. Can I qualify for a care giver tax deductions?

My sister pays for all of her expenses but I live with her to take care of her since our brother died and she cannot live alone. I know my sister claims her as a dependent, but i am a 24/7 caregiver to her.

2

Answers

The IRS rules say that the person who pays more than 50% of a parent's expenses can claim that person as a dependent, even if the parent doesn't live with that taxpayer. You can't claim her unless you pay more than 50% of her expenses. Also, you can't both claim her.

If you are her 24/7 caregiver, do you have a lot of income to deduct her from? Instead, see if your sister will pay you something for caregiving. Sorry if my guess about your situation is wrong.

Certainly you will get into heaven extra quick because you are a caregiver, but the IRS has no respect for our hard work.

if the elder isnt a genuine financial dependant your sis may be getting some hate mail from the irs someday.