What are the specific steps for putting an Alzheimer's patient in temporary respite care?

Husband going into 3rd stages of Alzheimer's. Have been a caregiver without help or vacation for over 10 years. Would like to visit a daughter for a week out of state. Heard there is so much paper work to set up respite care. I would be paying out-of-pocket so that should alleviate government paperwork. Shouldn't it? Please advise. Husband can eat, use the bathroom, dress himself. etc.so it's not like he would be totally dependent on a nursing staff. Need advice ASAP. Thank you.

25

Answers

1 2 3
Call the nursing home that offers it. They will walk you through it. If you are on VA Benefits they will set it up for you. I got it last year. You are entitled to a month of Respite care with VA. They paid the entire amount for me. What a treat to have a vacation. I really enjoyed it although I felt guilty while away but I called everyday to check on him and I did enjoy that refreshing time. After I got back home again it only took a day to fall into that sad state of affairs again. I should have taken the whole month instead of 12 days. Be sure to apply early. They told me that people sometimes have to wait a year for an opening. I did not have to wait but they tried to tell me that!

If the person is a Veteran, you start by contacting your local VA hospital, ask for a Social Worker (after you've completed the "means" test to get set up with them, and the social worker takes it from there with the general practitioner and you, answering questions about the person you are care-giving.

GrammyM: I am in agreement with everyone else here. Kudos to you for seeking out a break!

The VA has an excellent program - 30 days a year respite for the caregiver. You have to work through the Social Worker though and you have to take 15 days at a time. It's totally free for you and they will even order all his medications at no cost to you for that time period.

The paperwork referred to, is the contract for the memory care/assisted living in which you choose to have him stay. In order for any assisted living to accept a new resident, they must have all of the necessary physician list, health care needs, medication lists in case of emergency. They also have to have a complete contract signed 25-30 pages, even for a temporary stay, state regulation.
Small Homes licensed for assisted living require a lot less paperwork and may be a good fit for short term respite. Look up your state's facility finder for the licensed homes in your area.
Go on your VACATION no matter what is required with paperwork, you deserve to spend time on yourself! It is vital to a caregiver to take care of themselves first. There is a reason on an airplane, when they tell you to put your mask on first, before assisting others!
Once the paperwork is complete, you may find a great situation for the future. You might also find a local daycare for some daily respite, for when you return.

Hi i am tim and i care for both of my parents but my father is the veteran.He gets a 25,000 dollar grant to pay me for taking care of him and also they told me I could get whoever I wanted to care for him if i needed time for myself up to 3,180.00 a year,I just fill out a form and send it to veteran's affairs and they send the check to me to pay the person i got to help
Hope this helps,but I'm Canadian so it's probably different there

I ckd several memory care places & prices from $125 to $300 nite. Placed him wk before in their day care so workers got to know him. Tb test , pills in original bottles. He did real well & enjoyed it. Some places only take certain amount of days too. Enjoy yourself. I sure did. One friend ckd one how he was doing one day & texted me as i was in UR. Made me feel even better. MY support group suggested I take him in 1 day before i left in case i forgot something. I took the foam off his bed at home & they put it on his bed there.

There is a really lovely full-service care facility in my town and it provides "respite" care for up to two weeks. The cost is out of pocket (YOUR pocket). But it was soooo very needed by me recently. My mother, however, who was a bit loopy after two weeks, one in the hospital and 5 days in a rehab from a severe UTI, was NOT happy and called me every day crying and hollering about being terribly upset... but at least I KNEW she was "safe" and was being looked after 24/7.

First steps are to get a TB test. Choose a location. Dr will have to right orders for his medications including any Tums or Tylenol. The home/ALC will need a little health info too. So set that appointment and talk to the doctor to get started. Best of luck and enjoy your time away!

If your husband is a Veteran check with the VA there are several programs that may help you. Might not help you right at this very moment but getting things going so that you get breaks during the week, Homemaker Help or respite will come in handy later. And if he has other health issues he may be entitled to more services depending on where and when he served.

1 2 3