Does anyone have a loved one that pulls clothes out of the closet that they haven't worn for years and wears it?

My husband has Dementia and he pulled a pair of nice shoes out of the closet and now wants to wear them almost all the time. They are really nice, he always took pride in having shiny shoes. He says they have a thin sole not like work boots that he has snagged his foot and fallen. If he has asked me 1 time he has asked me 50 if they look "tacky". He's very prideful in his appearance. I have told him 50 times they are very nice. Anyone ?

19

Answers

Wow! How lucky you are; most demented people are pretty boring! Enjoy....

Yes, my elderly mother would wear out-of-style, threadbare garments when I had bought her brand new garments. OMG, my daughter's FIL wouldn't even get into clothes (just wore his ripped up boxers), weighed 450# and wanted hugs dressed like that!

So let him

When my mom moved to AL she lived tooling around in her wheelchair in her puffy pink socks
Whatever floats your boat I say

Kaylani, such good tips. Thanks for sharing. You are right a good laugh is worth its weight in gold, its when we stop laughing that we have trouble. Life is to short to be serious all the time.

My mother with Alzheimers moved into an assisted living facility in February. My sister noticed that Mom was wearing the same few things every day, even though she has a closet full of her clothes. She was also wearing the same socks and underwear everyday ( for weeks at a time). So one day I talked to her about it, and asked why she didn't wear some of her other clothes? She said "these are all I have". I asked her "What about the clothes in your closet?" and she replied, "Those aren't my clothes." When I asked whose clothes they were, she said, "Those clothes belong to that girl that used to live hear before me - she's coming back to get them." So we talked about how that girl took everything with her and was not coming back; then we labeled each drawer, and each part of her closet with cards that read "Mary's shoes, Mary's pajamas, Mary's underwear, Mary's clothes, etc." We drew on little pictures of shoes, underpants, etc too. We had a good time laughing while we did it together, but she now wears a variety of cleaner clothes more often, including underwear! (Although now she occasionally puts her dirty underwear in her purse when she's packing to "go home"). Sometimes people with dementia have a funny logic all their own, and it's a real eye-opener when you finally get to the bottom of it. We just try to count our blessings that she can still dress herself and laugh with us, and always try to keep smiling.

Oh lord, Lucy! You are an angel for keeping a straight face and reassuring him he looks fetching! Thanks for starting my day off with a smile b

Hey Sunnygirl1-my mom likes her sneakers -"sneaks". I got her an identical pair and it's worked so far.

My dad recently put on my mom's clothes; he said they 'fit' :0 let them be and redirect later to their regular clothes - does not hurt anyone

Alexander that is just to funny. Sunnygirl, identical pair great idea it worked for me once good luck!