I am my 94-year-old mom's caregiver and have been for 5 years. I have no income to move anywhere else. We live on a fixed income because I don't work and I care for her.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Talking with an elder law attorney in your city or town is a good way to learn about your all of options.

Medicaid home care programs in your state may pay you a stipend to care for your mother. This could provide tax free income for you.

If a physician can certify that you provided at least 2 years of care that saved your mother from needing a nursing home admission, the home can be transferred to you, free of protected Medicaid liens if your mother needs Medicaid to pay for care. Federal Medicaid law exempts a home from transfer penalties if a son or daughter of the individual who was residing in the individual’s home for a period of at least two years immediately before the date of the individual’s admission to the medical institution, establishes to the satisfaction of the State that he or she provided care to such individual which permitted such individual to reside at home rather than in an institution.

Was your father a veteran who served at least one day during war time? Your mother may be eligible for an Aid & Attendance pension that can reimburse you for care services.

Other programs and resources may be available to you and your mother.
Helpful Answer (1)

Need more information. How would the home be taken away? Are you talking about default on a mortgage or a reverse mortgage or because of Medicaid? If the house is paid for and you have been taking care of her for 5 years, she can transfer the house to you. See below for Medicaid rules.

In addition, special exceptions apply to the transfer of a home. The Medicaid applicant may freely transfer his or her home to the following individuals without incurring a transfer penalty:
•The applicant's spouse
•A child who is under age 21 or who is blind or disabled
•Into a trust for the sole benefit of a disabled individual under age 65 (even if the trust is for the benefit of the Medicaid applicant, under certain circumstances)
•A sibling who has lived in the home during the year preceding the applicant's institutionalization and who already holds an equity interest in the home
•A "caretaker child," who is defined as a child of the applicant who lived in the house for at least two years prior to the applicant's institutionalization and who during that period provided care that allowed the applicant to avoid a nursing home stay.
Helpful Answer (0)

I was talking about Medicaid taking the home away if my mom needed to go into a nursing home I lived here with her for five years and care for her so should I get the doctors note saying that I was her primary care giver and living with her for five years in case she needed to go on Medicaid right now she's able to come home with me but should I first have her sign the house over to me and then take it from there in case I can't handle her at home and she would have to go into a nursing home
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter