What could I do to protect my family and myself from any form a retaliation in a case of elder abuse report?

It's a form of medical abuse that may cause life-threatening problems in the medium or long term. I have told friends and relatives about it, though haven't reported it to the authorities yet. Firstly, when I called Adult Protective Services, their offices were closed, now that I told my mom she's warned me about not telling the authorities because she fears the owners may try to do something against us in retaliation.

We come from a country where there the law is corrupted and people constantly live in a state of alert and inner fear. We are also aware of the history of crime, violence and corruption in the U.S. since its origin and up to nowadays. I fear that Adult Protective Services won't be able to maintain our confidentiality when they perform the investigations because no one else would know what's going on except me. And if they don't immediately apprehend whoever is responsible for the abuse, chance is the accused may want to retaliate.

16

Answers

Anchor, just checking back in with you today. Hoping that you and your Mom can achieve peace of mind as Johnjoe mentioned. Please check back soon.

What form of medical abuse causes life-threatening problems in the medium to long-term? Your mother cannot be obliged to take medication against her will. What is being forced on her that she feels unable to refuse?

Sadly there are two forms of abuse, physical and psychological, and each form is equally cruel. Obviously Your Mom's well being and happiness is Your most urgent priority. I'd suggest You do not hesitate to bring Your Mom out of that place, and remain by Her side while Your Mom is being transferred to a safer place. This would give You and Your Mom great peace of mind.

DO NOT LIVE IN FEAR, THIS IS STILL THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, IMHOP.
Do not leave her side, stay with her. Go with her to the emergency room, have her examined for abuse, neglect, but report what you know. How are people supposed to protect our loved ones and the next person's loved ones if due to fear and bystander apathy (your friends, family that you told), no one takes action.
If you or your mother are mistaken and the accusations are unfounded (but believed to be true by you and mother), there is no punishment for that, but she would still want to go to another facility.
You may want to put her in a wheelchair and take her out of there, then see how fast the police come and take your report. However, I am advising against taking this action.

Mandated Reporter
A mandated reporter is usually a professional who is mandated by law to report abuse to APS or police authorities. Seems to me if you reported any incident to a staff member, or the Director of Nursing, it is that person who isxalso reqiured by law to report.
However, the most important factor in this case is your Mom's health, safety, and welfare. Do not wait for the next incident, call 911 and have her taken to the E.R., report the abuse once there. They will find her a bed in another facility.

APS is not perfect, but they usually can see through retaliation, They are obliged to investigate but if clearly nothing is wrong, they unfound the case and that is that. I hate that you are living in fear like this!

The ombudsman is a completely independent entity, not connected to any facility.

I would urge you to contact an elder attorney.

Correction re Ombudsman: NOT usually connected with the facility management!!!

Can you move your mom? I understand how vulnerable seniors can feel so I think it's really important to put them out of that situation that supports that fear. In the meantime, if it's one person that is abusing at the same time as you go to the ombudsman also go to the supervisor of that person. But be ready to move her if there is any sign of retaliation. If it's skilled or assisted living, get the ombudsmen to give you the latest report from inspections and citations. You may not be alone