What is a proper amount to pay a private care giver for a Christmas/holiday bonus?

I know this is a different type question, and a little early, but I am very new to this and only recently started having in caregivers for my Mother. The one has been coming since the beginning of September for 2 hours at lunch and gets $18/hr. She has the harder time of getting Mother out of bed and dressed and she does some house work. The other only started this month, November, and comes for 2 hours in the evening for dinner and bed. She gets $15/hr.

I know it would be more if they had worked the whole year, but I have absolutely no idea what might be a proper amount for a bonus since neither has been with us for long. Can someone with experience give me some insight? Thank you

Since they are both fairly new, I would give them each $20. Next year I would double it. But that's just me in a small town where expenses are low.
Thank you. I am also in a small town. I think they are both very happy with the per hour rate they are getting.
Does the caregiver receive the entire $15/18 per hour or is that paid to an agency that then pays them a smaller amount? If they are getting less, I might be inclined to be more generous. But the $20 suggested above sounds reasonable.
Usually the going rate is 1 weeks wages. If they earn $40 for the week, then $40 would be fair. Depending on how well you like them and their services and if you plan on keeping them long term.
Paid, live-in, caregiver, here.

I wonder why the world considers our line of work less worthy of holiday pay than any other? Our arrangement is: we work our normal schedule, regardless of holidays (though we often trade days to give each other personal family connections, etc), and are paid an extra day that week. Think about it: normal employees get to have the day off, paid, right?

Also, consider this: on that holiday, the caregiver is likely to work harder relieving the family of having to care for their loved one while they're all celebrating, plus there's almost always extra work to prepare him/her to BE with the family.

Just my 2-cents worth.
Thank you to all. First, I am giving them both Thanksgiving and Christmas off with pay because I do appreciate and respect what they do. I was doing it all before until the stress landed me in the hospital for 8 days with my heart. I'd rather take care of and be with my Mother on those days.

Even though I am giving a paid holiday, I want to give them a bonus. Since they have both not been with us for very along, based on what people have said here, I think I will do a day's salary, which would be $36 and $30 respectively. Next year, if they are both still with us, I will consider a week's salary -- which would be $180 and $150 respectively. They are both independent people and not through an agency. I certainly appreciate them both.

Again, thanks for your comments
LadeeC how much would you be pleased to receive or overjoyed with? If I was the employer I would expect to hand over a full weeks pay. What would you think of a really nice present instead, maybe something your employer has noticed you need like a jacket, purse. nice sweater of the LLBean variety. The gift for someone like a hairdresser is the equivalent of the cost of your usual visit. I hope Santa is good to you this year and you don't work for a Scrooge!
id give em a partridge in a pear tree . who wouldnt like that ?
I gotta say, I pay a bigger bonus to my paper delivery person (whom I have never met) than the small amounts being discussed here. Kind of sad, isn't it? RebeccaJ, I am glad to learn that you are giving them paid holidays. That is good. And since these people have been with you such a short time, the small bonus is probably OK this year.
[egads .. I really gotta learn to read the WHOLE post (including the title) ... I missed the word 'bonus' .. *blushes*]

*chuckles* I'd be overjoyed with a new car.

But, seriously .. respect. How often do you thank them and recognize them for their efforts and contributions? Unless you happen to have lots of cash to distribute, recognition and verbal gratitude are seriously underrated (btw .. this is too often true in ANY field or toward most employees). If the caregivers are good at what they do, I hope you'll embrace them as part of the team of people keeping your loved one safe and healthy. Otherwise ..

A gift card .. if you happen to know their favorite place to shop, then get it there, otherwise a universal gift card (like a visa gift card) is nicely generous.