My 94 year old grandmother who needs care wants to return to Mexico where there is no care. Can I prohibit her from going? - AgingCare.com

My 94 year old grandmother who needs care wants to return to Mexico where there is no care. Can I prohibit her from going?

She is currently in a home where she is being taken care of. She is a high risk for falling. She is not in a wheel chair however uses a walker to move around.

1

Answer

Depending on how long she's lived in the U.S. maybe she just wants to go 'home' to what's familiar. Maybe she wants to spend what's left of her life there. Ask her.

• I don’t resent Charlie for his lack of empathy. It’s just one more thing I have to face as a dementia caregiver. When he isn’t himself I just try to remember the man he used to be, the man I fell in love with.
  • I used to think that, because I was a caregiver, I wasn't allowed to cry--it was a sign of weakness. Until one day I just couldn't hold it in any longer.
  • Caregivers can easily get caught up in life's many demands, but exposing a dementia patient to this whirlwind of activity can be confusing and upsetting. Every Alzheimer's and dementia caregiver knows this, but sometimes we need some gentle reminding to take a step back and just slow down a bit. This will benefit you and your loved one in the long run.
  • As Mum’s memory fades, the realities of her everyday life seem to go as well. It’s like acting in a strange play with half of the cues missing.
  • Although Mum didn’t remember the details of our picture-perfect day together, she was very happy. With dementia, the memories may not stick anymore, but the feelings and emotions attached to them still linger.