What can you do when you have problems with your parent’s primary doctor?

I'm going out of my mind!! Every time I schedule an appt on my day off for my mother to see her doctor..we get a call that she is running late..sometimes it takes all DAY to get in. I feel like it's a huge disrespect to myself and my free time and I'm not sure how to handle it since my mother loves her doc. I can't ever schedule any other appts around it, OR have anything at all planned for the day due to her always being late- and we never know when we'll get in...advice????

17

Answers

linda09, that's a hoot! I wish I had the nerve to do that when I go to the Dr.
Thanks for the smile!

I had this problem too, most of the time, a 30 minute doctor's appt. for my dad took 4 HOURS!!! 30 minutes to see the doctor and 3 1/2 hours of waiting around... the doctor didn't care and my dad didn't mind either. In fact, he enjoyed it!
What I did, and I hope this helps -
First, I talked with my dad. It was "Look dad, I love ya, but these doctor visits are insanely long. We need to figure something out that's a bit more reasonable". I don't know how mentally healthy your mom is, but my dad can be a bit nutty like the rest of us at times. On this point, it wasn't the doctor he loved, it was the whole "I'm going on a visit, out of the house" thing. He didn't really love the doc, he loved the visit.
So, secondly, I asked him if he was up to changing doctors, he said yes. This is a feat - my dad won't see women doctors, only men (some sort of comfort or control thing there) and he lives in a rural area where doctors of any kind are hard to come by. But we did it. It worked.
His appts. to his new doctor, visit and trip time included, runs 1 hour. On time, as doctor visits go.
I guess I could have spent time dealing with the issue with his first doctor's office as my dad liked going there, but I didn't go that route. I had already spoken with the office staff a few times in the past about the issue and they didn't care to work with me. So, I chose the "change the doctor" battle instead.

I am sorry but I would just tell Mom I am not taking her back to that doc because you do not have all day for one appointment and if she wants you to take her she has to get a new doc.

my mom is good at whining too...maybe I'll get her to do that as well...LMAO

yes sometimes i can hear him and he s sleeping ! i thought oh pa s awake and i go ck on him uhh he s sleeping ! ive been brainwash . haha
krnflakgrl , sorry for your loss . my pa is 86 yrs old with dementia .
i lost my mom in 20 yrs ago due to cancer , very sad times there . she kept sayin shes ready to meet her master (lord) . well after sufferin for few mos and he took her . it was fast spreading cancer . i know shes alot happier now , no more suffering ...

Your pa sounds like my dad!!! I took care of him too through lung cancer and he whined and whined till the very end...if it was 5 minutes past his time, he'd be sharing stories about waiting with everyone in the waiting room and saying " This is G*d D*mn ridiculous!!!" Over and over....I think I inherited my spirit from him...so every time I get upset, I can hear him in my head and it makes me laugh.

they get my pa in right away cuz he cant sit and wait for his name to be called in . he owuld hollar and hollar and everybodys lookin at him and im sayin shh pa . he said well my appt is at 10 and what time is it wa waaaa , he just keeps on a hollarin waaa waaa then they call his name and he smiles and goes in and sits and wait for the dr and if its takin too long theyre gonna hear him waaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa . he gets em going cuz he knows we cant stand to hear that high pitch waaaaaaaaaaa. lol . pa knows how the system works . just hollar he said . that'll get thier attention he said .

Yep it's amazing how similiar problems there are out there...and no one is trying to make things better! The medical community is not proactive but reactive...shame we should be so much farther ahead by now being in the 21 century! Oh but we gotta have those danged 3D tv's next...go figure!

LOL!!! You guys have all been a huge help...!! Her appt. was at 940am this morning..we got in at noon!! Although, I DID have a talk with her doc today about my caregiving stress...and, she agreed, we needed to do something. My mom is as stubborn and as critical as they come..and today even the doc got fed up with her! It ended up being an okay day...but..the appt problem is getting to be ridiculous. I'm going to see if my brother can start taking her occasionally- which he will have to do if I take the possible full time job I might have...

Either way..thanks again for all your great responses. It's so nice to come on here and see that others are going through the same thing. It's like a huge hug!!! Thanks you guys!!!