Does anybody ever have problems with nursing home staff falling asleep on the job at night? - AgingCare.com

Does anybody ever have problems with nursing home staff falling asleep on the job at night?

My mom was in this nursing home that has changed hands so many times in Belleville Illinois because of bad inspections and Medicare Ratings. My mother came from St. Louis University hospital in St. Louis Missouri and was transferred to this place in Belleville Illinois where we live. My mom told me the night nurses told her when she wanted to go to the bathroom that is what her diaper is for they will get it when everyone wakes up at 6 am. They also gave her too little or too much oxygen when she was in the nursing home for shortness of breath and upper respiratory problems. They often forgot to give her her meds. They would turn their TV up blasting loud and then fall asleep and snore the only thing that woke these nurses up was a patient alarm. My mom ended up in the hospital emergency room yesterday. She now has pneumonia, fluid on the lung, COPD, and congestive heart failure all thanks to negligence of the nursing staff and a non existent Nurse Practitioner she ended up in the ICU to receive a higher level of care and now wears a Bi Pap machine Thank you bad nurses for making my life hell

36

Answers

1 3 4
Nurses are usually not cost effective to sit with patient 1:1. Unless by private payee. Yes if I saw a paid nurse sleeping that was specifically hired to take care of that one patient I would be angry.

You are right. Most nurses are co-dependent and just "do" when others don't. I have witnessed mental health or nursing assistants sleeping in patients room. The patient usually on 1:1 due to assaultive or suicidal behavior. Often they pull any staff from hospital that wants an overtime shift to sit with a patient. The supervisor would do schedule for next shift. Heard supervisor say "we need a "BODY" to sit with a patient. If the person was not a health care professional they were not allowed to touch the patient. They would call out for the nurse. I did speak to supervisor stating first of all a BODY has a name, and if the person pulled from another unit wasn't allowed to touch the patient it really was not helpful. Hospital didn't care.

Martina Marie, of course we all are eternally grateful for all the great nurses! But, it has been my experience that the really good ones never defend the greater number of caregivers who are horrible. Really now, can you honestly say that if you were paying someone to care for someone you truly love, and you walked in and found this loved one soaked, soiled and slumped over in a chair while the nurse or aide was sleeping while be paid to work, your thoughts would be turned to the one in ten who does a good job?

I understand original poster is venting. It's that so many of responses are agreeing with accusations and automatically suggesting nurses are sleeping and telling patients to soil themselves. That's ridiculous. And unless you are there to witness what night shift entails it's unfair to accuse nurses of neglect. And I seriously doubt the nurse who "takes turns" sleeping at night is inaccurate. Many times as a nurse I would not even be able to eat, drink or use the bathroom. While a family member is sleeping at home and comes in and makes that assessment is sad. I agree. Complain, complain, complain. It works. The squeaky wheel that threatens to sue ( although the nurses won't be affected it is the hospital and physician. We are very low on totem poll). It does make our supervisor to demand certain things. I had a very obese ( over 400 pound patient.....hoyer lift with 4 people). patient who had a family that was always complaining. They DEMANDED their mother get scheduled medication before all other patients. She was prescribed a Tylenol and multivitamin. I had patients on insulin and had to administer that when food trays came up 15 minutes before they ate. We nurses all knew our day was going to be a bad one when assigned to the complaining/obese patient. Of course when I only had two staff available to help lift and needed extra they all left the room. But she did get her Tylenol first. The squeaky wheel will get the grease. We celebrated the day she transferred to live with her family. Family couldn't handle it...patient died within 2 months.

I take care of my Mom and sleep in same room. Yes, I do sleep at times. Mom is now in diapers this past 4-6 weeks. I thought of your question over recent week as I am in this new diaper situation. I try to change her just before I know she is sleeping through the night. Not unusual that she is not changed during the night. Not practical. I am not waking up for that nor is mom. Not that I wouldn't if mom required or requested it. I would not be able to accept these health issues that have developed! My friend's husband has MS and she took superb care of him until he had to be put in a nursing home. Within one month he had UTI and bed sores. Almost died because the bedsore hole went so deep. She got him back to health by moving him to another nursing home. A really great place! Even there she had to insist strongly and repeatedly on certain matters regarding his care. She got an advocate and meetings with nursing home management supervisors etc. She made them aware that she would be relentless in his having proper care. They did what was needed and he is thriving and happy there. He is paralyzed below the waist and something as simple as keeping his water bottle within reach was not happening among other issues. What I am saying is you need to be relentless with the supervisors and management. Don't let anyone be complacent about her care! Most nurses and doctors are fabulous and some just need a reminder that they can be.

The suggestion that you speak with primary physician is sometimes difficult. They spend 5-15 minutes with each patient then ask the nurse how many hours did they sleep. The doctors often won't accept phone calls from families because they don't want to be tied up. They want to see as many patients and get paid as much money as they can. They typically work 8-4 so they are not direct witness to the nurse allegations. I'm still insulted you state the nursing staff "'makes your life hell". Why put all nurses in that category? Are you there at night?

Coming from an RN who worked the 11-7 at night shift mostly. I can say the shift is one of the hardest to work. Everything you mentioned in your post is a distinct horrible lack of care and duties. If a nurse, or an aide, is feeling the burden due to unsafe practices, and this can be due to staffing issues, take your complaints up the nursing "tree" begin from the bottom aides on up. You have the right to complain to see where the buck stops.
I had serious complaints about a nurse accused of drug diversion on the 11-7 shift .The aide came to me and said she saw the nurse ingest pan medications from the floor stock in a locked cabinet. The issue this poor aide had was the the nurse taking the medications was a close personal friend of the director of nurses.and often went out together at night with their spouses.
I had an issue also, it was not my place to begin an independent investigation of the nurse as we both held the same license. I spoke with the administrator and I was given the clearance to begin the investigation. It took only two shifts to find out something was not right with the documentation The nurse refused help by the board and now has her license revoked.
This is a care issue for your mom. You need to be her advocate against some of these "for profit" nursing home conglomerates. These companies have billions to keep their name clear. There are ways to find out the history about nurses, Every state keeps a database about any discipline against a nurse or an aide. There is the countrywide database,nursys. "quick confirm" is the way to find out about an LPN or RN. Contact your state public health department about aides.
Stick to your guns, your mom was there for you and you must now be there for here. God bless

I reread the OP and nowhere does she mention "nurse". My daughter has worked as an LPN ten an RN for almost 20yrs in nursing/rehab facilities. An RN would not be changing diapers or taking patients to the bathroom, a CNA would. In Del they do the one on one with the patient. There r good employees and bad employees. I agree, go to the director of nursing first. If u get nowhere, go above her to the administrator. If nothing is done, then go to the state. Like any job, sleeping on the job is a reason to be fired.

I was a nurse for 28 years. I thought I could help others with experiences I have had both professionally and personally as a nurse and daughter working and caring for elderly parents. The post about nurses falling asleep and snoring is ridiculous. What's more upsetting is all the judge mental opinions during this feedback thread. I celebrate all that can read, no the truth and continue to be selfless in their encounters. I salute you. I personally never want to deliver direct patient care again

I can't believe this thread is so unsupportive of nurses....you should be ashamed of yourselves. So judgement all and quick to point the finger.

1 3 4