My husband enjoys getting out, seeing others, and eating out at a nice restaurant. However, the problem is bowel incontinence. Advice? - AgingCare.com

My husband enjoys getting out, seeing others, and eating out at a nice restaurant. However, the problem is bowel incontinence. Advice?

know when this will happen. Yes he wears diapers, but if any of your loved one have this problem, you'll know diapers don't always do the trick for that incontinence. there is the odor and the mess. Is there someway any of you have dealt with this same issue? Is their a medication that he could take to insure this won't happen while your out? I've given him Imodium AD. I don't know if it worked we didn't have any problems that day. I want him to get out, but this is a nerve wracking issue. Any thoughts?

25

Answers

1 2 3
I have IBS..Take Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP it works fine for me and I have had some terrible situations that could have been very uncomfortable for me.It can be subscribe by your PCP comes in 9G pouch contains 4 grams of the above ingrediants ..IT works I take One in the AM and one in the PM.

My elderly mother wears diapers, too. She had both issues: bowel and urinary incontinence and now only suffers from urinary incontinence. I discovered her bowel issues were due to her diet and in working with our naturopath, we pinpointed the type of foods that caused her bowels to become an issue. If you live in a state that recognizes naturopaths - go to one ASAP. Naturopaths are licensed as primary care physicians where we live (AZ) and their clinical training is exactly the same as a traditional doctor. The big difference between the two fields is that naturopaths receive an additional year of training in natural medicine - but they are trained in conventional though they don't prescribe traditional medications; for example, I'm on a cholesterol-lowering supplement through our naturopath but she is also trained in how Lipitor works. The smell in your husband's "output" is a strong signal that his body is not tolerating a certain food, a group of foods, or the timing of food groups eaten together, so his meal just ferments (sorry to sound so graphic!) in his gut, while waiting to be expelled. The fermented food is the "smell" you smell. Surprisingly, one can live for decades with a very minor food intolerance and/or minor food allergy - and not even realize it was that food that was causing problem(s) until the actual food was removed from the diet. My recommendation is to keep a food journal, keep an eye on what he's eating and note when the bowel issue happen. You may be able to see right away a pattern developing and work from there to correct the problem. I discovered (through a lot of trial and error) my mother had difficulty processing all complex carbs (grains, dairy, certain types of beans, white sugar, etc) and after putting her on a diet very, very similar to Paleo, her bowels were no longer an issue. Prior to this change, her "output" smelled horrendous! It smelled like a combination of rotten eggs, gasoline, and licorice. I was very close to buying a gas mask to wear whenever I had to change her. Good luck!

My mother sees a doctor here in Pittsburgh who prescribes a powder (resin) called Cholestyramine that we mix with 8 oz. of liquid (I use coconut almond milk and shake it vigorously to make it frothy like a milkshake.) The medication/powder absorbs the liquid in one's colon to clump the waste together so that fecal leakage (incontinence) doesn't occur. She takes this 2 times per day. Take your husband to a doctor that specializes in colon issues.

If he is Diabetic talk to your doctor about the meds. I have a rather crabby bowel and I cannot take cholesterol meds or oral Diabetic medicine anymore. I still have my moments yet it's not like when I was on the meds. I was so bad I could not leave the house safely. When I went anywhere I carried emergency wipes, extra clothing and bags. I was always trying to see where the restrooms were. Sometimes the meds that are suppose to help may actually cause a worse problem. I have some success with fiber powder. Diet may be an issue for some people. One of our sons cannot eat ANY product with a corn product in it. So check on the diet and also the balance of fluid against food. I always have Lactaid pills on me. Sometimes Imodium is too much, sometimes Benadryl helps. I have been living with this in some form since my early 20's - it's only since my mid 40's that with the advent of diabetes & cholesterol meds that it became unmanageable - I truly dread getting much older and not being able to manage this by myself. I find it completely embarrassing and don't usually share this problem with others. Yet at my current age I am between the position of the caregiver and the patient. I wish someone in senior medicine would figure this one out. Is there any kind of a sensor much like those used for children who have nighttime incontinence? Is there a time frame after meals where you husband can be guided to the bathroom - like 40 minutes after? 30? Good luck!

I give mom 4oz of prune juice everynight and her crushed pills in prune pudding that i make. Mornings are 4 oz coffee with 1.5 teaspoons of miralax. She then has her breakfast and by 3 hours i put her on the toilet snd she goes. Shes done for the day, so the sooner i get the miralax coffee in her the better. Good luck

Chocolate in itself can bother some people.

Yes, artificial sweetners do this especially the one they use in chocolate. I took Mom off coffee and fruit juices and the problem has practically gone away. I give u a lot of credit. If this was regular accurance I don't think I could take my parent out.

Just know where every bathroom is when you're out and he gets there in time, sits on the toilet and goes.

I agree that it would be wise to check his meds. Perhaps one of them is causing the bowel problems. This could be the easiest fix.

Charcoal liners do help, and we used plastic-lined overpants over the Depends for extra protection on outings to seal it just in case. A thin disposable pad can go on his seat too if you're worried at all about the seats. The kind for nighttime incontinence work great in the car. For inside we used fabric ones intended for infants in car seats that were beige, only about 12" and very subtle. People thought it was just a little cushion for his comfort if they saw it at all. Prune juice in the am helped with regularity. Warm for taste. Raisins too. And a dose of humility for anyone who is intolerant enough to make you or him feel bad about it. Try to keep him enjoying life as much as he can. I've managed clean up in places I never would have imagined. Armed with a sense of "oh well" and a fashionable backpack smaller than many womens' handbags which held a change of pants, a travel pack of big wet wipes, travel sized hand sanitizer, and a gallon sized ziplock bag let my grandparents and then my parents enjoy things long after others would have shut down. Family restrooms and non-gender specific restrooms are more common now in public too, and nicer restaurants usually have a separate staff restroom, so maybe select restaurants with those in mind just in case it does happen. Applause to you for looking for solutions and not giving up! I found many, many more people were kind and helpful than judgmental.

1 2 3