Are probiotics beneficial for elderly with bowel and UTI issues?

I just started probiotics on mom hoping it will help her bowel issues. Sometimes constipated and digs it out(yuck) or sometimes it just runs out of her with no control. It is also the worst smelling poop I have ever smelt - it is unbelievable.
Anyone tried these before with any luck.

31

Answers

1 2 3 4
A good friend recommended home-made kefir and her elderly mom is benefiting. even claims to have reduced some of her meds. youtube is filled with info and easy instructions on home-made kefir (a drinkable yogurt).

I've heard wonderful things about kefir (a drinkable yogurt). youtube has good info in making it yourself, easy to do. A good friend recommended and her elderly mother is benefiting greatly from it. Even claims she doesn't have to take as much of her meds.

Gem. Thanks again. I'll look io Swanson! It's hard to know if they r high quality. I usually buy Natue Made, Now or RAW. RAW Is pretty costly especially since you have to take so many a day.

Gem. Thanks again. I'll look io Swanson! It's hard to know if they r high quality. I usually buy Natue Made, Now or RAW. R

Sounds like you are on the right track golfhard.You are using some of the "natural" sweetners that do not have such a high glycemic index. That should help keep her blood sugar more level. If she is having a hot dog 1-2 x's a week, I would not worry. She does need to have something she really enjoys! Just start with small amounts of water with the cranberry juice, or she will be able to tell. Just do it gradually. I use swansonvitamins.com to get my supplements. They are reasonable and work with high quality providers of supplements. Happy researching!

Thanks gem, those are excellent ideas. Here I thought the cranberry juice was going to help. I will start adding water. She does like sweet things, I guess that her sweet taste buds are more active. And I know sugar is bad for you, I myself try to stay off sugar as much as I can because if I don't I get sick. Ibs, joint and leg aches. I started making her oatmeal with agave nectar with vanilla almond milk unsteady of sugar. I know they contain sugar burst least it is more natural
And she eats it up like Goldilocks!!
I also use honey on her baked sweet potatoes. Another favorite of hers. She really eats healthy, except when she asks for hot dogs. I've tried the veggie kind, she won't eat them. I try not to buy them but she requests hot dogs.

I see it under your user name right now. I thought it was already there and didn't have to be added as a choice. It was under my name already.

Silly question, but how am I able to add the "Give a hug" under my user name?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Golf,
Just looked at a couple of your posts again! Mom was started on a "new pain med". That could certainly be a big part of the problem. I would discuss this with a pharmacist that you have a good relationship with and trust! They are usually the person I go to for help. They have A LOT more training in drug interactions and the chemistry involved.
Another thing that came to mind is that you mentioned that she drinks a lot of orange and cranberry juice. I know we all have to do the best we can, just to get liquids in, but especially the cranberry has a lot of added refined sugar, which contributes to a lower immune response, which makes you more likely to be prone to infection!!!???? My guess is she did not like the one from the health food store, because it was not as sweetened???? I know it is a vicious cycle! But I would slowly week after week{since tastes are learned!} add some water to the juice. Get it to a place where Mom will still drink it, but it will limit some of the sugar. This will be a gradual process, not a quick fix! I have actually been trying to do this myself, to limit calories. The other thing I enjoy is lemon slices in water! If you do not like water alone, this may be a good alternative for you. Be aware that some of the no calorie drinks use sweetner substitutes, and in the long run we do not know all the "side effects"! You really have to be a super "detective" to pick up on this!!!!!!!! They do it in such a subtle way, that you may miss it!!!!!!!!!
Also, I know the medical community has some flaws that need some correction. Hold them accountable, just like any other business. I've been on both sides of the fence. Sometimes, it is a matter of being able to communicate better ON BOTH SIDES! That does not excuse "bad" behavior! Sometimes, the medical person is not aware of your life and vice versa! So we need to continue to communicate more and work at becoming better at it! Just like with anything else that is worth working for!

1Gem, thanks for the extra measure of strength and patience, I certainly can use it dealing with the non helpful siblings! lol

1 2 3 4