My mother is living with me, what amount of privacy can I expect to get?

18

Answers

Luckily for us my parents go to bed early, and only blare the TV until about 9 pm ( I get up at 4 for work!) However, I was used to my hour in the morning by myself and now I often find Mom here reading (she dosent sleep well) She is no bother, but sometimes it still bugs me... And sometimes Dad goes into our room and rearrainges things, eats candy ect..lol

I have to go in my room and much the door. I have a bedroom big enough for a large chair and ottoman. It's my sanctuary. If course I can hear MOM calling out"" "Where is everybody?" All over the house. Sometimes I go out and tell her. I get up three hours before she gets up and I have that time alone. You just have a figure it out. We say "We're going to bed between 7&8 so we have some time alone, too. It's hard. MOM has no boundaries so I have to draw them.

Just a thought - have you thought of trying Adult Day Care? A couple of days a week, to give you a break. Like a respite care.

Have a family friend who comes over every morning and night of everyday. We cannot get any privacy as a family. How do I get the point across to him that we need family time without him?

Sounds a lot like my MIL.

LME - I also had to get a PO Box and re-route my mail to keep some sense of privacy. It wasn't that I have anything to hide but I hated that she opened my mail. Mom would love nothing more than for me to quit work and be her constant companion and caregiver. But As wrong as it may be to say it....I do not even like my mother. I think I love her because I have to, but I never like being around her - yet here I am living with this old woman. Her ailments seem to come and go with the kind of attention she can get. For example, if we want to get away and leave for a few days she will whine and carry on about being bored and alone and so pitiful. She loves pity parties!!!! She crepes around the house spying on us and goes in my room without asking and will tell me later how good that lotion smells that I have. So then I'm mad but I don't say anything because I am a coward. I will walk away before I will argue with her. And I think she plays these games to feel she has more power over me. I really hate living with her but we do not have a choice. She doesn't have the mental reasoning skills or common sense to live alone and no one else will put up with her. No one else wants anything to do with her in all honesty. Not my brothers, my kids, grandkids, no one likes her. She has exactly 2 "friends". One is her beauty operator and the other is her housekeeper. Hmmmm.....ya' think they don't listen to her week after week just for money - heck yes they do. Trust me, anyone would be blessed to have half of what she does. I never thought in a million years I would be responsible for her after my dad died. She doesn't DO anything - except play games on her phone and watch TV. She doesn't have to do laundry, cooking, shopping, cleaning, I mean nothing....but she can cuss like a sailor and then never miss a Sunday service.

I'm not touching this one. Not today.

My Mom was the same way, following me around everywhere, and had to have me in sight at all times. I have the computer set up so she can see me from her chair in the living room. I think it is the dementia. If they don't see you, they don't know what they are supposed to be doing and get nervous.
Now she will be just as happy with a caregiver as with me, as long as she is with someone. I've just had to accept it. But in retrospect, I could have been happier if I got a caregiver to give me a daily break whether she liked it or not. Good luck and hang in there.

I've pretty much given up on the idea of privacy, my mom also follows me around and the way our house is set up, she can sit in her favorite spot on the couch and stare at me in almost any room I'm in. It is rough, but I also realize that she is freightened (dementia) and that it might be reassuring for her to know that I'm there.
I take my private time when she sleeps, although she is never down for very long at a time.

I never moved out of my family home. I had to lock the bathroom door, only to have break the lock when trying to get it open. She would listen in on phone calls, read some of my mail, follow me around the house and call around for me to find me. I have heard of other Alz mothers doing the same thing. I did tell her to NOT call around for me and I got myself a PO Box for my mail, only to add her to it as she was sending money when contest companies would tell her she would win thousands of dollars if she would send in ????. I told her to please not listen in on my calls, etc, but it did no good. I spent as much time as I could in my room upstairs. As she had trouble with stairs, she only came up a couple of times, but it is just one of those things. As time progressed, she did require caregivers so I was able to get away. I was not familar with codependency at the time, but I knew that things were not right, and I did a lot of reading.