Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent solicitors from ringing the doorbell even with a no soliciting sign?

I've been tempted to disconnect the doorbell at my parent's house. Last week I was there when a guy from AT&T came. I pointed to the no soliciting sign and he said "Oh, I'm not soliciting" and then proceeded to give me his spiel. I wanted to call the police. Has anyone had any success at getting this kind of thing stopped?

28

Answers

1 2 3
Getting a gun here in Canada entails jumping through hoops but you can get BB gun without a licence or even a toy rifle would do. Just answer the door with it casually hanging by your side. Living in the middle of nowhere I my have to resort to a rifle to protect my critters. I leaned to shoot in the UK forever ago. I don't want a gun but I must protect my animals.

This is a interesting thread I loved reading the comments . I put one of those no solicitor signs on my door.... Simone ripped it off and threw it on the ground .... I never answer the door anymore anyway. If I'm expecting someone I'll let them in but I don't answer the door

love the answers, I use the do not call registry and it actually works, there is also one to stop the crap mail (as I call it) from coming to your house. I just had to post a sign on my front door stating that I sleep in the day, and that if anyone were to knock on the door, I would consider it disruptive and thus disturbing the peace and that I would call the police and follow the individual with the phone until police interception. We shall see if that works!

I live out in the country. My doorbells weigh 100lb, have big teeth and kick up at anything within 100 yards. I don't answer the door and the dogs screaming inside makes them run, never to return.

I hate getting up to answer the door and find that it's someone trying to sell me a vacuum or an alarm or even meat. Really?! Who sells meat door to door? My sign didn't work either. I figured a gun or something else might be better…?haha maybe they'll get the point then? I found one online that's kinda cool though. It's like a system where you buy the sign and then you can call in and report them and they call the police and report them to their own company for no soliciting and to the police. If anyone wants to test it out it was lastknock. Hopefully we can get these punks in trouble for disturbing my peace.

Add another sign beneath "no soliciting" stating that: all sales, solicitations, polling, petitioner personnel are prohibited from disturbing this residence. If they proceed, police will be contacted immediately. Hopefully, this will limit them.

I'd say to put something over the doorbell that prevents it from being rung, in tandem with a 'no soliciting' sign. My first thought was to disconnect it, but if someone presses the bell and doesn't hear a sound, they may start knocking LOUDLY. At least with something over the bell, they know that they're not supposed to ring, or solicit. period. That would also make the thieves think, that at least there might be someone home.

I have a sign that says " In case of fire, please rescue my 10 ft 20 lb Boa Constrictor" and it works very well.

I once hung a sign. " If you were NOT invited,LEAVE!"

put a sign on the door that says you only open the door for friends who call on the phone first.

1 2 3