AngelS1989 Asked July 2016

How do I prevent my mom from getting out of bed and falling in the middle of the night?

She moves really quick. I can't take my eyes off her for one second.

26

Answers

1 3
Side rails can be dangerous, facilities are not allowed to use them. People can get tangled in them when they try to get out. Be sure they are safe in your situation. The fall mats are specially made for this purpose.

Twinflower1 Sep 2016
I have the same problem with an Aunt in Memory Care. The facility accepts falls as a part of the disease and while some rooms have foam pads on the floor around the bed, they are used for people who fall out of bed, not those who get up in the night. . My Aunt has fallen four times with two bone breaks trying to get to the bathroom when she is in bed. I have tried to work with the facility staff to make sure she is really tired and sleepy before putting her to bed, so that she is in common areas and more likely to be seen if she tries to get up. The facility refuses any suggestion I make whether it's a bed alarm, a motion detector, more staffing, more frequent bed checks or preemptive bathroom trips. There is always some reason these things don't work or can't be done. I have resorted to trying to strengthen my Aunt's legs so that at least she can get up and stand in one place a minute before deciding to walk. She may sit down again if she realizes she can't make it. Her last fall was by the bed, so she collapsed as soon as she stood. (I have a thick gel pad rug there). I like the pole idea, and I'll ask, but I'm sure the facility will have some objection to that. I'm so frustrated. And I feel responsible. Please keep posting ideas. I need help.

My mother went through the sundowner period where she wanted to be up all night. When sitting in a chair day or night her head is down sleeping most of the time.
Using a hospital bed with rails extra pillows and straps saved us both. She is able to now stay in the bed and rest all night. Sometimes i play a movie for her all night (Moses dvd is 3hrs and it auto repeats).
The strap is a combination of belts and posey belt all connected. I cover it with a blanket so she can't see it. I instruct her to stay in bed until i come to help her out. Without the strap she has gotten out no matter the rails or how high/low bed is positioned. For us, strap has been the best way to keep her safe and in bed.

jtf123 Aug 2016
I got a bed alarm ,bed rails (I tied a bell to the rail too), I had a chair alarm and I used baby moniters - one in the room with my husband the other in the kitchen . That way I could hear whenever he tried to get up and I could get to him before he fell.
It was a challenge, he would take the batteries out of the alarm or stuff tissues into the bell , that is where the baby moniters helped. Good luck.

Velvet- your mother may not have lost the ability to stand if she had a sturdy pole to grab to aid her in standing (and then hang onto it until she felt comfortable in moving on). I would love to offer suggestions. Unfortunately some people are one fall from leaving their home forever and proper assistive devices may be the key to avoiding that injury. Many times the right product is equally important to avoid the caregiver injury as well.

I used a bedside commode with my late mother to SOME success. The only thing is that she would try to move it out of her way and almost fall over doing so. Of course, any amount of talking in regard to it was a waste of breath.

Velvet Aug 2016
Yes, I have a bed alarm for my mom's bed. I got it through Amazon for about $65. It is great! I also have a baby monitor in the room to make sure I can hear the bed alarm in my room when I'm asleep. At this point, though, the bells at the side of the bed are more functional since Mom seems to have lost the ability to stand up by herself.

jtf123 Aug 2016
They make bed alarms . They go under the fitted sheet. You would at least hear when she is getting up. My husband had a disease that effected his balance so falling was a major concern. I used a bed alarm, he had the side rails also and like some suggested I tied a bell onto the rail, I also used a chair alarm. He would still try to get up but at least I would know and could get up in time to help him. I hope things go well for you.

The fall mat is an excellent suggestion and lowering the bed. However, you never mentioned if it's okay for her to be up at night. The problem with drugging her at night is that if she does wake up and is determined to get out of bed, she is more likely to fall due to dizziness from the drug. I'm surprised the doctor prescribed this as most no longer do.

If she's okay to be up at night when you're alseep, then the lower bed and mat are fine. If it's not okay, you may need to add a bed alarm. They vary in price and features and you'll have to look through them to decide what you need, but it will go off, letting you know she's trying to get out of bed. Amazon has them for as low as $50. I highly recommend that if safety is a real issue and it sounds like it is.

CatyRay Jul 2016
I'm sorry if anyone took my comments the wrong way. We caretakers bear a heavy burden and each case is different, and a big difference is whether the LO is home alone or has help. I spent two weeks with Mom and the end of June/early July, and I was a wreck, what with Mom's calls to have help to bathroom, or she's thirsty, too hot, too cold, etc. (sometimes 5 or 6 calls within 30 minutes). The bedside rail is great because she can use it to pull herself up into a sitting position and reach the walker. I'm trying to keep Mom in her own home as long as possible, but my brother is ready to send her to a nursing home RIGHT NOW! I keep reminding Mom that when the time comes that she can't get of out her bed or use her walker the NH will be her only option (this works both ways as a carrot and/or stick). It's nice to have a forum where can just vent our frustrations, too!

1 3