How do I prevent my mom from getting out of bed and falling in the middle of the night?

She moves really quick. I can't take my eyes off her for one second.

When my Mom was in long-term-care she kept climbing out of bed and would fall because she could not longer remember she couldn't stand or walk.

What the care center did was lower her bed and place "fall mats" on both sides of the bed. That helped somewhat, but Mom wasn't going to be stopped. Eventually the nurses/aides had to prop pillows around her which made it more difficult for Mom to climb out. Then came a time where Mom had to be given something to calm her down, that zoned her out big time... it was either that, or Mom getting hurt with her constant climbing.

I hope this will work for you, as being sleep deprived can cause future health problems for you :(
Thank you..I think this is a great idea. The fall mats will help her out , and on top that she had an appointment at the doctors office and her doctor gave her a prescription for some meds to help her sleep through the night. Hopefully this works and i can also get some sleep along with her and worry less about her falling so much. Again thank you for your advice.
I had a patient that did this and she ended up breaking her shoulder! The only thing that would stop her from getting out of bed unassisted was a hospital bed with rails that kept her in the bed. You can also try buying a bed rail. I tried this at first, but it wasn't very effective and a couple of times she managed to get around it. Have her doctor write a prescription for a hospital bed. Good luck!
Lowering the bed can help if she were to fall out of bed. However it may cause more problems if she were to trip on any mat placed on the floor around the bed.
Is there a possibility of getting side rails for the bed so it would stop her from getting out of bed or at least slow her down. If you place a bed alarm on the bed or on the floor that would alert you that she is getting up.

In a facility you can not have bed rails up at the foot and head of the bed on both sides at the same time, that is considered "confinement" but at home you can do so for her safety. I had my husband's bed up against one wall so that limited the side that he could get out of. Or at least move his legs off of the one side. I am lucky in that he never tried to get out of bed without help. At least when he became a fall risk. But side rails might help slow your Mom down a bit so it will make it easier for you to monitor her
Get a Side rail that fits under mattress if u can. Attach old school bell to it.
The bed with side rails COULD work. It could also not work, if this woman is so eager to climb out of bed and thus, hurt herself. I like the person's comment of the medicine.
If you consider bed rails, read all of the warnings about them. They are prohibited in many long term care facilities, due to the safety risk they impose. I'd look into that fully and the reasons they are considered less safe than not using them. Doctors can order them in some cases.
My husband fell out of bed last week, got a badly bruised swollen eye and we called an ambulance to go the hospital to check for broken hip, possible stroke. In the hospital they attached him to the bed with a Posey belt that was given to us on discharge. They arranged for a hospital bed which is up against the wall which he faces in his usual sleeping position. I slept on the sofa nearby as I was afraid he would get over the rails; they're not that high. In the hospital they did use additional pillows to keep him from putting his legs over the rails. It is a worry. During the day I left him sitting in a chair to go upstairs and attend to some chores only to find him crawling up the stairs. Now I use the Posey belt to keep him secure sitting in a chair.
Why was she climbing out of bed during the night? My mother gets up frequently to use the toilet. She doesn't want to wet her Depend/pad (still has her pride) so she will try to get up. We have someone with her 24/7 at home when I'm not visiting. We got a side rail that has bars that fit under the mattress (as mentioned by a previous poster). She can hold on to that to pull herself up, giving the aide or me enough time to get to her to help with her walker and get her safely to the toilet and back in bed. Doctor doesn't recommend sleeping aid because that would make her dizzy if she got up during the night, increasing the fall risk.
CatyRay...is there a way that you could put a commode next to the bed. Would make it easier on you or the caregiver rather than trying to walk a sleepy woman to the bathroom. I just know how groggy I sometimes am..not to mention I sound like a popcorn popper when I walk with all the popping joints I have..that's enough noise to wake me up!