How do prevent an old man (80) with limited mobility and sight from starving himself? - AgingCare.com

How do prevent an old man (80) with limited mobility and sight from starving himself?

My father-in-law who I care for is refusing meds and food now. He says he had nothing to live for, and can not find anything any more.

18

Answers

Also try Ensure and milk shakes to make sure he can at least get some nutrition.

Mom never refused Nutella!

Maybe he has lost some sense of taste. Maybe he would like ice cream. Eat some in front of him and see what he does. Maybe some foods he will eat. Good luck.

Try Meals on Wheels and ((((hugs))).

In reading your replies, I am humbled by how good God was to my Mom and myself. She had a major stroke and I got the privilege of holding her, comforting her, and telling her how much I loved her. She was able to understand and squeezed my hand in response. She had always told me to never hook her up to a machine i couldn't take her off of. She never woke up after surgery and had no brain activity. It was about 30 hours from the stroke to her death. It makes me cry now, but she had been suffering for years. Praise God! Death, where is thy victory, where is your sting? Christ has defeated the grave.

I saw this with my father; we lost my mom five years earlier and the only thing keeping Dad going was worrying about me--the yougest and last kid still single. When I got engaged, Dad told me that he'd never met a man that he thought would take better care of me, and when his health starting going down he stopped eating. It took me several years to see that he really hadn't been feeling well and missed Mom terribly. My husband died of recurrent lymphoma after three relapses in ten years, and got to where he couldn't get food down, it just came back. The dr said it was a longstanding spot on his lung that had grown into a restriction on his esophagus and anything he tried to eat was not going down, and would get in to the lungs and cause aspiration pneumonia. He refused a feeding tube and was ready to go.

Just as there is a time for everything in life there is also a time for death.

I found, with MIL, depression medicine does not help when they r ready to go.

Our first thought is always "what can I do to give my loved one a "longer" "better" life, and sometimes the answer is, let them choose for themselves.
When my FIL began to refuse to eat, because he often couldn't keep any food down and he was embarrassed to be throwing up all the time-and he was physically and mentally exhausted.... he was hiding his pills I thought he'd swallowed...he refused to do anything for himself .It was time to respect that he was done.
The last trip to the hospital, the dr said he could no longer live alone. The only option for us and him at that point was an NH. He chose to die. He lived one day past the dx to be moved into a NH. You have to respect that in the end, we're all going to die. I hope my family gives me the "right" to go when I want to and not try to make me hang on, feeling worthless, useless and awful.

I'm watching my husband die right now. It is so very hard. We love them and want to keep them with us but at some point, as many have said, we have to look at their quality of life. My husband chose to go and quit eating a few months ago and begged me to let him go. I begged him to stay, so he did, indeed, choose to stay. Now he eats. He sleeps 22-23 hours a day, getting up only to eat and go back to bed. He is incontinent and complains all the time about how bad he feels. He continues to lose weight in spite of the huge meals he eats. He had Parkinson's and advanced dementia. I have to ask myself what I've done. I think I will be ready next time he wants to go but it hurts so much.