What can I do to prevent my aging, bed ridden mother from putting her hands in her poop in bed?

Several times my mother has put her hands in her poop during her sleep, now she is doing it when she is awake. She is not senile. She will be 86 in July, 2013. I am at my wits end as how to stop this. I know I can not tie her hands, but after cleaning up this mess on her hands, nails and the bed I am tempted. Please tell me that there is a solution!

23

Answers

1 2 3
Back-zip jumpsuits from Buck & Buck. https://www.buckandbuck.com/ The restraint gloves are illegal in nursing home care in my state, but the back-zip jumpsuits have foiled my mom's ongoing persistent efforts to get to her own feces 24 hours/daily. Buck & Buck's customer service is unparalleled. They even added elastic in leg hems for my persistent mom along with name tags and 24 hour delivery. Incredible.

Good idea Peptic. There are also one piece suites with a back zipper available from Buck and Buck who sell all kinds of adaptive clothing

I know this thread is quite an old one, but thought I would just add this - nappy pins! I use five to pin my mother's pyjama jacket to her pyjama bottoms - front, sides and back at even spacing. She can't squeeze her hands inside her PJ bottoms then, and thus can't scratch her buttocks or her pressure sore. The pins I use are like slightly larger safety pins with snap-down tops which are impossible for her to undo or pull off. Since starting to use them, the deep weals made by her nails on her buttocks have healed up, as has the small but deep pressure sore on her coccyx, which she kept opening up by scratching off the dressing. She still tries to scratch through her pyjamas, but the damage is now limited as the fabric is quite thick.

CindiMay77, thank YOU, too. Preventawear is a great find!

God bless Google search and God bless CarolLynn above. She said, "So perhaps what I found will help you with your mom. In addition to the two piece looking zipper up the back outfits, they also had ladies back zippering jumpsuits. There may be other places but the one I found that I planned to order from was (buck and buck). "

While I am blessing, God bless Buck & Buck. My deeply demented mom has been decorating her own room, the shared hallways in her assisted living/nursing home/hospital care -- the whole world within her reach -- with her own feces for months now. The staff and I have been pulling out our hair. Socks on her hands at night has helped, but when she is awake she won't keep them on. Even when I was sitting right next to her at dinner (with other residents at the table), she is so quick and practiced that she reached into her pants to bring her bowel movement out for display at the dinner table this week.

No amount of reasoning, talking, writing (for her to read), signage, begging, etc., etc., has helped. I read a post on another site about in her frustration over losing her wits, it might be important to her to keep "part of her body" rather than to flush it away. Who knows? She's conversational, but she can't explain this.

My mom's fingernails have been caked with feces. No caregiver can be blamed for failing to keep up with it. It's an ongoing project without respite. She won't sit still for thorough cleaning very often. It's a health hazard for her and for everyone around her.

The Buck & Buck one-piece suit is the first useful advice I have found and I have asked A LOT of experts and read A LOT of websites for advice. This works. Buck & Buck has some other super useful ideas for our issues, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, CarolLynn.

And, God bless all of you who are caring for the demented.

It would be nice if they'd come up with a plastic cone "skirt" to place at the waist (over the patient on the bed) that would leave her hands free, but prevent her hands from getting into a mess....

Preventawear has clothing that can prevent this. The best way to get feces out of fingernails is to fill the bathroom sink with warm soapy water and soak her hands.

Put gloves on and also I have taken a short nightgown and put snaps in the crotch area. You need to cut the nightgown up the middle a little but its like a onesy

This is a multifacited problem. It's possible that she has a sensation of something unpleasant and is simply making an attempt to get it off. If she is half or fully asleep, this would all be instinctual behavior. I would check her skin for any signs of early breakdown, then check pH of stool and urine (might be highly acidic, which can be painful). Rather than super tight diapers, I would slather her skin with a protective barrier cream/ointment, and consider modified union suit or other garment that Velcros up the back rather than zips. Velcro can be removed by you, and you don't have the issue of stuck zippers when you need to get the garment off. I would also have cloth mittens that you can use, if you lotion her hands prior to putting them on, they have the added benefit of increased comfort and skin care. Checking her toileting schedule/needs, think of a lift (allows the person to better empty their bladder/bowels due to gravity and better position), would be helpful. Of course, I would let physician/nurse practitioner know the problem, including pH of urine/stool, especially if pH is low (acidic).

Hey bean1046;i know when my husband bill was bedridden i would come out often at night to check on him. alot of the times it was to put another diaper back on him, for the one that he started with was torn off.I would pick up all the covers and pillows he would throw on the floor. he just couldn't be still, but did not like the diapers on him either. because of the lack of sleep on both our parts, we treated his situation with medication, and of course kept a log of all his output and input to watch for any changes that took place. have you tried playing music at night? i know this may not have any impact, but I know when I tried it with my husband, he seemed to really like this too. hope this helps. looks like you have alot of great advice from all of these individuals.one thing for sure. you're not alone bean1946. i pray that God's grace will enable you to keep loving her.And to receive His love in the process and to stay full of His joy and hope. Just always remember bean1946,nothing is too hard for our God, and you have the greater one living on the inside of you, Jesus. He's always with you bean1946. He will give you what you need, believe me He will and wants us to ask Him to also. God Bless You.

1 2 3