Can Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA) cause hallucinations? - AgingCare.com

Can Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA) cause hallucinations?

He also thinks the people on TV can see him. Is this common?

14

Answers

My mother-in-law "saw" people in her house that weren't there. That was after a stroke. Eventually it went away, or she stopped talking about it.

OK, true. Then my mom has hallucinations AND delusions. She thinks the TV is talking to her sometimes and she sees kids around the house that are not there or people outside.

"They can see me" is not a hallucination. It's a delusion. The difference is that hallucinations are seeing or hearing things that aren't there. Delusion is believing something is true when it is not.

Luv2travel, Mom has done the same thing. Told me that someone on TV wants her to do something.

My Mom thinks some people are talking to her (game show host, tv show host) and she will wave back to them. Dr Phil too. In fact she thought the game show wanted her to come and do something and we told her she was fine and didn't need to go anywhere.

Moms neurologist told Mom she would hallucinate. TV, dreams and reality all are one and the same to Mom. She was catching Diagnosis Murder and told me Dick VanDyke wanted to talk to me. If there was an explosion on the TV, she thought it really happened and got upset. So yes, it's part of his Dementia.

8et5hin: It seems with PPA that speech is the primary issue. Understanding the written word or spoken word manifests itself into hallucinagenic thoughts and actions as the individual's brain has been injured. Thinking persons on television can see your elder could be not only due to brain damage, but medication as well. I wish you well. That's difficult! (((Hugs)))

Mom (98 with dementia) does the same thing. Often she sees the people on TV who are looking at us as threats of some kind. This is a sign that it's time to change the station.

I recommend NickJr with the exception of the vroom-vroom vehicles or monster types of agitating action.

Meanwhile I can watch movies or whatever on my laptop or Kindle Fire. Favorite TV shows can be recorded for later viewing when Mom is otherwise occupied.

Anyway, not to worry; this is a normal progression of the disease. Just keep smiling.

It sounds like you have been using the internet to look up unusual terms which really don't mean anything. Once a person has aphasia (the loss of ability to speak or understand the written word) their brain has damage. Dementia causes the brain to lose the ability to speak because from hearing a word, it takes about five steps in the brain to formulate the meaning and then speak the word. Hallucinations coming from the television are more a symptom of a manic phase of bipolar disorder than dementia. I suspect the "hallucinations" are not really coming from the t.v., but rather from his mind which interprets sound and pictures differently. Who really knows what a person with dementia understands or knows but that person? The brain is so complicated and you will waste your time trying to figure out how it works. Spend time loving your loved one...

Thanks for new information. It may not pertain to alz spouse but helps understand others.