I assigned my son POA. He lives in Ohio and I live in NYS. Can he use my check to pay bills? - AgingCare.com

I assigned my son POA. He lives in Ohio and I live in NYS. Can he use my check to pay bills?

If I become ill my son has POA to pay my bills while I am unable. But I pay bills by check. Can my son access my bank account in NYSand pay bills for me, while he lives in Ohio?
Can he use my checks to pay for example: my rent, my credit card bill, etc.?

2

Answers

cathy, if you're wanting your son to totally take care of your bills and you never have to see them again, then I would suggest all the bills being sent to him and he pay them online. I have all my mother-in-law's bills sent to me, then I pay them via computer. One day I had her here and I called each and every bill she had. They wanted to hear from her that she wanted the bills sent to my address so that I could pay them. Once they heard that from her, then it was fine with them. I share POA with one of her sons, but I control the checkbook and only I pay the bills. I also set it up online so that all her boys have access with passwords etc so they can see what I'm up to. No big deal to me.

Yes, if your son has POA he'll be able to pay your bills. Make sure that the bank has the paperwork they need to recognize him as your POA.

Easier than check, especially at a distance, is online access to your account. Most banks have a feature where you can send payments without writing checks. Many POAs find this very convenient. My sister uses it to manage my mother's account.

You are wise to plan ahead! Do you also have a health proxy appointed, sometimes called Health POA, and a living will?

• Tips for how caregivers can talk about money and finances with elderly parents. Financial discussions shouldn’t be taboo as your parents age. Failing to talk about money matters with your parents could put you in a difficult position when it’s time to take over their financial decisions.
  • Bells are ringing all over town as charities ramp up appeals for holiday donations. Use these simple strategies to give confidently and maximize your charitable efforts this season.
  • Numerous resources are available to educate a spouse or an aging loved one on the basics of personal finance, retirement planning, investing and more. In fact, some of these learning tools are both practical and enjoyable.
  • Seniors who depend on a fixed income to fund their retirement are vulnerable to inflation, but proper planning and investing can safeguard their spending power.