Does a POA have the power to refuse to allow a dementia patient to attend a family reunion for 2 hours?

Patient wants to go, facility director said is ok and would be good for her and facility will be transporting patient.

17

Answers

Oops, maybe not such a good idea, as I did not read the last page answers, some had already answered about the visit. However, I am still wanting the definitive legal answer about the POA's far reaching powers. I guess I can research.

Can't we get through our lives without a doctor's note, someone deciding what is best for us, and having to get the government's permission for soooo many things?

All the family descend upon the facility en masse, really, to visit, all at once. The facility should have a large room to gather, bring refreshments, visit and have a good time. The reunion is not finished until you do this. Don't ask, don't make reservations. Enjoy!

Usually only a guardian has that kind of control...

Great idea. That's what we do when we have big family parties. We can't bring mom because of her constant worrying. But everyone stops by, we don't tell her there's a party. People just happen to show up for a short visit.

Excellent advice from Blannie. Let the rest go. Don't burn any bridges fighting with the poa. Visiting the dister is more important. Have fun

Don't know why the reunion is completely ruined just because one person can't attend. We never have 100% attendance at any of ours. I think that's an excellent compromise, to ask people who care to visit with the NH resident, to go by and visit for 10-15 minutes.

If the reunion is nearby, have a few relatives stop by to visit the sister in her facility. That seems to be a much better solution to me. More control is possible for the sister and she's in a familiar place, which would minimize agitation.

Well thank you all for the advice. It is very much appreciated. But the nursing home admin decided today that he will not go against the POA, who refuses to let the sister resident of the facility leave the nursing home even for a couple hours. Reunion is completely ruined. Thanks again for the advice.

This is my 2 cents. If your boyfriend visits his sister on a regular basis and she knows who he is and is comfortable with him (can he calm her if she gets upset) then go for it. However if any of the above statements are inaccurate, I would think twice about this. I noticed when our family gathered for holidays I would pay for the get together that night. Mom wanted people out of house (they had already left) and she would be up all night aggitated. I tried to explain to family that maybe visits in smaller groups would be better but they wanted things to go down just the way we always did it. Mom did not really recognize all of the family, but I don't think that the family actually noticed this. This get together was really for family members wants and needs and not those of my mom. My mom had dementia. This may not be the situation in your case, just some things to think about. Have some plans in place in case sister wants to leave earlier then expected. Is sister mobile and able to go to the bathroom herself? If you have all your bases covered this could be a wonderful outing for sister and maybe could generate more visits for her in the future.

Then take her. If you think the POA is going to show up and cause trouble, alert the local police dept that you may need an escort. Unless to someone else has guardianship, she cannot be held against her will, is how it's seen.

It's not like she's saying "I want to move out and live on my own". Is the POA concerned that her sibling might not want to return?