My sister has POA. Does this give her the right to clean out the house and siblings?

My father is moving to sr living. She decided to rent his house out with out including my brother and i on the decision. This could cause tax issues for my Dad. He's not understanding whats happening. Who do I call? I'm in Illinois and he lives in Iowa.

17

Answers

Were not speaking so no she wouldnt post. Im going to the bank to seenif a copy of the poabisbin the lock box.

She may be endangering access to Medicaid should it ever be needed. She probably does not mean any harm - can you get her to post on here, maybe, about your questions?

POAs usually have to show their paperwork to people who have reason to ask for it - OK, maybe not always to siblings - but a POA who is not living up to their responsibilities as laid out in the document can be removed. OTOH, it may give her leeway and she may be acting within her rights; then, only a good faith appeal to the risk of future problems will change her course. The problem is if she wrecks the funding options, probably the whole family will be needing to pitch in later.

My parents have a Will thank goodness. The day my father passes away. I plan on holding any thing Willed up until financial records have been reviewed. Any property she's been taking or selling she better have records for those transactions. I'll hold it up until I die if I need too. My parents worked very hard and saved every penny they made and she's disrespecting them at this point.

A new development. She's sold his auto to her sister in law. However the sister in law didn't get a loan. She's making payments to my dad. So if she gets into an accident, totals the car my dad will be totally out! Isn't there something I can do about this one? And in regards to above...My dad is not independently wealthy. She's just an idiot!

Try calling Adult Protective Services in his town.

It could be exploitative, or it could be that she is genuinely looking for a half way house, with father going to the SNF on a trial basis. What is not clever is the attitude where she won't explain her thinking and takes a high-handed approach - try a reset in communication before things do get irretrievably ugly. She is in charge of his finances, but that doesn't mean you don't have any right to be concerned. Tricky to get her to share if she's already being defensive and blocking you, but worth trying.

Renting the house under the terms you specified sounds like a disaster in the making. With only utilities being paid, who's going to be responsible for the property taxes and HO insurance? If the former aren't paid, the house may eventually be sold for delinquent taxes.

You could ask APS to investigate since the plan seems to have aspect of financial exploitation. If not, I think you will need legal counsel.

laadelmu, thanks for the update, that paints a whole different picture. Renting out a house below market value will look pretty questionable if 4 years down the line your Dad would need to apply for Medicaid to help pay for a nursing home. Your sister needs to do her homework on Medicaid unless your Dad is independently wealthy.

Id rather not upset my dad. Hes going trough enough at this point. Thank you...i will be contacting the bank.

The only option you have is a nuclear one. Retain an attorney. It's going to get ugly. You are right to be concerned.