I am 85 years of age; my wife (84) is in hospice care in our home and unresponsive (Alz). We both have DNR's. Do I need a POA for her final affairs? We have a daughter. Should I obtain a POA for her in the event that I become afflicted and unresponsive? If so, can you give me an idea as to the expense involved? I don't have an attorney.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
galley, it is too late to get a POA for your wife. She has to be aware and competent in order to assign the POA. It doesn't sound like you are going to need it for her, since you are able to pay her bills and hospice is taking her through the final phase of her life. ((((Hugs)))) to you as you go through this with her. If you are the executor of her will, you can take care of all the final affairs. A POA would end at the time of death, so wouldn't be useful.

It would be very helpful for you, though, to do your advance directives. You can assign the POAs for finances and healthcare and provide direction on your medical care should you become incapacitated. Since you already have your DNR, you may have already done your advance directives. Check your form and see if a healthcare proxy (POA) is assigned. If not, you can do that and at the same time, assign the financial POA. We had a friend who was an attorney and notary who helped us with ours. That made things so simple. You will need two witnesses and a notary for the forms.
Helpful Answer (2)

galleyleo85, so sorry to read that your wife is in hospice care. For your daughter's peace of mind, check to see of you have a Power of Attorney or if not, set up for a new one. I would highly suggest that your use an Elder Law attorney as they are more familiar with the laws in reference to us senior citizens. Each State has their own laws regarding same.

Also, depending on your net worth, if you have a sizable net worth, I would recommend getting yourself put into a Trust with a Will. That would help your daughter not have to jump through all the hoops of a probate, court hearing, fees, etc.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter