I'm not sure what the next step is.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
My mother is married and her husband has been taking care of her physical care. She has an appointment for further evaluation with a specialist in July.
Helpful Answer (0)

Does she appear to you to have cognitive impairment? Has it changed significantly in the last year? Has this been going on a long time? Is her health otherwise OK? How often do you see her? If you question the doctor's assessment, you could take mom to a specialist for a thorough evaluation. Sometimes having a clear and specific diagnosis helps guide the appropriate treatment. Be aware, though, that there is no simple blood test to verify a dementia diagnosis, and even from experts the diagnosis is only 'Probable" until a post-mortem examination is made of the brain.

With or without a specific diagnosis, I agree with Lilliput that the first consideration is housing. Is she safe where she is now? Can you bring in services to reduce risks? Even if she is safe now, starting to think ahead about what options are available if/when the condition progresses is a good idea.

Tapping into Social Services resources is a good idea. They should be able to provide you with lists of things to consider, resources in your area, and in some cases the services. For example, they sent an occupational therapist to our home to advise me on ways to make the environment safer for my husband (with dementia). They arranged meals-on-wheels for my mother (MCI), whose cooking now consists only of making toast and microwaving leftovers. Not using the stove is a good safety measure for her. VIvcor, it sounds like you are embarking on the challenging and sometimes rewarding journey of being a caregiver. Best wishes to you!
Helpful Answer (3)

If you are already helping her make financial and medical decisions, not much should change. Over time, as her mental capacities diminish, you will take on more of the decision making role.
Are you confident that the doctor's diagnosis is correct? Some docs, who are not qualified to assess dementia, mistake some short term memory loss for something else. Actually, I think family can make better assessments.
Where does your mom live now? If she is alone, and you feel that she is unsafe, housing will be your first priority. It does not mean that she has to live with you, but she should be in a safe and clean environment.
Is your mom able to discuss her wishes with you now? That will help guide you.
Good luck...feel free to share more information with us.
Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.

Ask a Question

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter