I have POA over a friend who is in a nursing home. The owner facility will not let me speak with her. Any advice?

He will not allowed me to speak with her.The owner will not allow me to speak with her, nor her to see nor speak with me. What rights are being violated as far as mine, and my friend who wants to see me, but is not being allowed too by the owner of the facility.

18

Answers

Johnny please don't take our comments to heart for the most part we are trying to understand the rationales behind actions. It is quite likely that the ombudsman needs to see the documents - in the UK they would have to be apostilled too (authenticated via a legal buff). If you consider what they are saying they have a duty of care to all concerned. That means that before they can act they MUST KNOW beyond all reasonable doubt that a POA is in place AND THAT IT IS THE CURRENT ONE - that's important. I know you feel they have not listened/have been rude/disrespected you but you do need to act and I would encourage you to act in your friends best interest and send the POA. This on is about you helping her/him and that is exactly what a POA is in place for...acting on their behalf and in their best interests.
I think what perhaps has not been explained well is that there is a process they HAVE to go through. Suppose (just bear with me on this) just suppose I SAID I was this persons POA and that I had visited and they wouldn't let me see her. I might NOT be who I say I am and I might not have her best interests at heart so if the Ombudsman acted in my favour they could actually be putting the person at risk.

Now just suppose the care home is not acting in her best interests (and I suspect you believe this to be the case) then as her POA you NEED the Ombudsman to step in and investigate.

There is a third potential which I haven't seen mentioned ...she may have done a further POA which supersedes the previous one and doesn't want to tell you she has done it (for whatever reason - she actually doesn't have to have a reason fro creating a new POA in the UK and I don't think you have to be told either which is odd)

Now if that is the case and you suspect coercion of some sort then you may have to go through APS but you will still have to send a copy of your POA and as I said before it is unlikely that, even if you zip it that it can be sent.. it will, in all likelihood be either too big or against their protocols to receive.

But get to the bottom of it please. I can't bear to think that there is any malpractice going on and that nothing was done. It is never right to let someone else do it for they may not and then nothing gets done so act ....please xx

The reason you couldn't send the POA by email is probably because it was either too large for you to send by email or too large for the receiver to receive by email. Many many organisations dont accept pictures - purely because they may contain viruses and while I am sure that wont be the case with you they cannot risk compromising their systems. So not a sign from God more likely a sign from Bill Gates!. Secure post it - it's the safest way other than physically taking it

So you couldn't get the POA sent via email after several attempts and saw it as a sign from God? Maybe it is a sign He wants you to stay away from her?
They still sell stamps and you can send it via snail mail, you know. Or maybe certified mail would be better!

I suspect that the friend in the care home becomes upset and/or agitated when this visitor comes to see her and thus the owner felt obliged to ask him not to visit any longer. Having been given POA by the resident however, the writer has the right to see his friend, but the Ombudsman, having received a complaint about the writer, needs to see the POA to ascertain its validity. The writer is not comprehending the fact that he is skating on this ice with all concerned. I hope he sees the light. Yes, God is sending you a message. Sometimes strangers giving you good advice can be seen as agents of the Lord. Send the Ombudsman the POA.

Who are complaining to about the Ombudsman? I am agog to hear how that goes. Good luck!

I will have no more personal dealings with the Ombudsman Program in my city. I have always learned in my experiences. No matter what, the customer is always right, and you treat him or her as such. There are certain guidelines that are taken when you work direct or indirectly with the public. Always be respectful no matter what took place. I am also currently filing a complaint against the local Ombudsman Program, and my treatment by her. Moreover, I don' t know where or how you were raised, but in my up bringing. there is no excuse for bad behavior. Always act your best, even if it hurts you. I have worked many jobs dealing with bad customers, but I always put on a happy face. I never hung up on someone because I did not like their attitude on the phone with me, or whatever the reason. I still was a yes maam, or no sir type of person. So as a person whose making the complaint, and your suggestion for me to go ack to the agency to kiss their behinds? My answer to that is, slavery days have been outlawed for many a years, so that will not be happening, but thank you once again for your input, next person

As stated in my write up. I made the decision to withdraw my decision to forward a copy of my DPOA for two three reason as I stated briefly above. When I made four failed attempts of sending a copy of the DPOA with the emails given. I realized in my mind, that the reason these failed attempts were not working, because it must have been a message from God not too, or better yet, an intuition. Once realizing my decision to change my mind in not sending the documents, I made a call to the agency, left my message on their answering machine that I decided to not send the documents. Again, as repeated above. I also confirmed about in my decision in not sending the documents, that regardless if the Ombudsman program had the documents, really had no baring concerning my friend civil rights being violated with her not being able to have me visit her, nor me in seeing her. It was also confirmed in my decision on not sending a copy of the DPOA, that the real reason This Particular Ombudsman Program wanted to have a copy of the papers, were for two reasons. First, to see if the documents were authentic, second, If my friend who is at the facility, was not able to sign papers, that would authorize the investigation to take place by the Ombudsman Program. These are the rules based on the Hippo Law, and some privacy issues. Again, some of my other experiences are listed above, concerning the agency. Thank you once again. I refuse to keep responding to questions, I stated prior in my write up.

person not first ^ d*mned autocorrect

As someone who is not the most patient of people (really? no %^&* Sherlock I hear some of you say!) I have to agree with others on this point. You didnt handle the one organisation that could have helped you very well and it is time to go eat humble pie I am afraid. Now I appreciate that isn't going to sit well with you but you can bet your last cent that the care home owner will have been as sweet as can be and if you are in the right and the first for whom you are POA DOES want to see you then the ombudsman would have to act in your favour I think.

It is a difficult one and will result in he said she said type of argument if you dont have the ombudsman on your side - so go and be nice to them x

And offer the Ombudsman the eye witness testimonies of your friends.

Remember, you can draw more flies with honey than with vinegar. When dealing with people, do your darn best to be polite. Know when emotions are good vs. being neutral and matter-of-fact. Even if it means smiling while gritting your teeth.