Has anyone used Poise pads as a booster pad for Depends? - AgingCare.com

Has anyone used Poise pads as a booster pad for Depends?

My mother has nighttime urinary incontinence. We use Depends maximum absorbency, but they no longer totally contain the fluid/odor overnight. (Nightgowns aren't really damp, but there is odor.) I'm thinking of trying Attends booster pads, but we have a large supply of unused Poise pads so thought those might serve the purpose instead.

22

Answers

1 2 3
Thanks everyone for the information flowing from my question! My mother has been using Depends maximum absorbancy with Attends booster pads day and night for several weeks now. This is working well for us. We make a trip to the bathroom early (6 a.m.) and change the pants/pad, which are quite full at that point but not leaking. Then another trip around 10 a.m., again with a change, and regular trips (about every 4 hours) during the day; the pad usually stays dry all day til bedtime, but if there is some dampness usually we can just change the booster pad without changing the Depends pants. I dispose of the used pants/pads in an odor-control trash bag inside a lidded plastic storage bin, which sits in our "extra" bathtub, behind a shower curtain; it's handy and out of sight, and there's no odor problem. (My mom is 94, lives with me, has cognitive issues ("executive function" problems), and requires my help with most activities. Don't know whether this detail from me is useful, but maybe so for someone in similar circumstances.)

Hello MidKid....my husband has a supra pubic catheter and leaks are very common ...if you can order drain sponges which is similar to a 4X4 gauze with a split to put over the tube coming out of her belly; use paper tape; this pad will absorb leakage...my husband has a problem with clogging of sand gravel and then the flow stops; then we have to rush to the doctor to change the catheter...it is a non-stop problem and the Urologist said there is nothing more he can do...do you have a Bard night bag? He wears a leg bag during the day but changes to a night bag; also you need special waterproof pads so the mattress does not get ruined.

In my experience, Poise pads were not very effective, Mother has constant UTI;s and those were part of the problem. Also, she wasn't changing often enough AND she won't drink enough. Just a cycle of antibiotics all the time. She has a supra pubic catheter now, but still "leaks" a lot. I think the other posters had good ideas about pads that wick away the urine from the body. Mother never would spring for the extra cost.

Mom needs to drink lots of water...if she is not a water drinker then cut the cranberry juice 1/2 with water and ice cubes...there is a product in Walgreen's if you have that store called Azo...for bladder issues; but keep in mind that if she has burning and uses one of their product for infection it turns the urine bright orange and it stains so you have to be careful...you can give her cranberry capsules and do not give her acidic fruit like grapefruit; that is what the doctor told us. I would have mom shower with fragrance free soap too and if she cannot get into the shower at least have her wash her private area to keep the odor of urine away...the less she drinks the stronger her urine will smell...I know this first hand from caring for my husband...hope Mom gets better soon ..you are doing the best you can for her.

My Mom is 89 and incontinent also. Sometimes gets to the bathroom in time.....mostly not. I have her using Depends and we put the Poise super duper absorbancy in the Depends also. Works great. Use grocery bags to line her garbage can for ease of disposal.

Now, she does have a constant problem with UTI's. CONSTANT. I do feel that the Poise and Depends contributes to the start of the UTI. But, there is no choice. I make sure she changes very, very frequently and showers at least every other day.

My mother used 2 types of Poise pads-moderate for day and thick for night. Store brands save $. I am 68 and use liners...better safe than embarrassed!

Sometimes there's nothing else to do for it, except to get up once or more in the night, to change her pads. Otherwise, old urine too close to skin too long, results in sores.
Good barrier creams are important, too.
It's lousy for getting a good night's sleep, but, treating skin breakdowns is worse.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your helpful responses. Such a wealth of experience, dedication, and good sense. What's working for us right now is Depends with the Attends booster pad, and I've also ordered a booster pad sample pack from HDIS.

I use the abriflex at night only thing that doesn't go thru. My mom floods at night.i order from amazon. Tranquility are 2nd best to these. Abriflex are more expensive but if you have to use 2 of the other comes out same.

I have been using Reassure maximum booster pads from HDIS for my mom overnight and they work well most of the time, and they work with almost any diaper. They do not have a waterproof shield so they do not hold the urine in against her skin. They absorb and whisk it away allowing it to flow to the outer diaper. They also have a peel and stick strip so they don't move around in the outer diaper. Early on I tried using the poise pads but they would fill up and leak over the sides missing most of the outer diaper. My mom is small and even the smallest underwear/diaper is too big, so plenty of room for a booster pad. HDIS will send you loads of samples if you ask. Here is the link to the booster pads page: /hdis.com/

1 2 3